Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Recording Your Saxophone Harlem Nocturne

• This topic has 12 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by john.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Mike Potter
    Participant

quick rendition (clams and all) of Harlem Nocturne with my new sax, a Drake Contemporary mouthpiece (9*) and a Select Jazz 3S reed. The trying to work some altissimo in my solos, LOL… lots more practice needed.

Pete
      Participant

Nice one Mike

Mike Potter
        Participant

Thanks Pete, I’m not happy at all with the solo section. I’m going through Johnny’s dominant 7th soloing exercises and I see where I need much more space in this solo and to come up with a melody to place around the chord changes. It’s a journey!

brother cavefish
          Participant

its fine, i love this song its got mystic and crime drama, sweet set up too,dig select jazz reeds

Mike Potter
            Participant

Thanks Brother! I love the way Sam (the man) Taylor plays this song, it’s almost scary… ha ha. Johnny does a hell of a cover as well. I cut a few other tracks but still not happy with them, I think my neighbors are sick of hearing me play this tune so I’ll give it some time and come back to it in a couple days…. when everyone is at work!

Michael Bishop
              Participant

Great stuff Mike! Love your tone–very full, fat and smooth sounding. You have some of that ‘buzz’ in your sound too, very cool. Hats off to you 🙂

Mel
                Participant

Yeah! Good stuff!

saxomonica
                  Participant

Xcellent!

Simon
                    Participant

Great! I love it.

brother cavefish
                      Participant

the viscounts and illinois jacquet do sick versions too,,, sam the man well personally i think he drags it too much and overkills on the ornamentation , my thoughts anyway,, Juam mena does a sick job in a higher key,—-whats your fall off pattern from F to C#

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.