Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Recording Your Saxophone HeartBreak Hotel

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mike Potter
    Participant

Here’s my one take version of Heart Break Hotel, I listened to Johnny’s cover of this tune a few times and thought I had some ideas…. some of them worked but the walk down to the low Bb, eh, not so much but I guess this is how I would have played it live and I’m actually not to displeased with the results. I played my Viking solid nickel silver tenor on this tune, metal mouthpiece with the copper carbon reed, the sax is much brighter than my Mark VI but it pops out a good rock sound and it’s really Purdy!

HeartBreak Hotel

jake
      Participant

Beautiful!!! That song was made for the sax!!!!! Can I ask a question?? I can hear your growls but how are you getting that gritty sound outside of them? Do you hum at all at parts or is it just the amount of pressure and the airflow getting the grittiness? Love this! Need more of that in my sound. I am using a metal FatBoy MBII I bought through Johnny paired with the copper reeds. I am definitely getting closer to that sound with this setup. Any tips/pointer would help! Again, great job on this song. I have a feeling this will be my next one to play around with!

Mike Potter
        Participant

Thank you Jake. Yeah I do a lot of growling and some flutter tongue mixed in there as well. My mouthpiece is very similar to the piece you’re playing (metal/high baffle) so it gets a certain amount of “buzz” to it on it’s own. I was thinking of the sax player for George Thorogood back in the day (Hank Hurricane Carter) and his lines in bad to the bone where he’d growl and flutter tongue at the same time. Always loved how that sounded, gutsy. Thought I’d try doing that, it worked in a few spots.

jake
          Participant

Thanks for the help. Yea love listening to Hank carter. Heard he played a berg Larsen metal piece so that was one of my 1st professional mp years ago. A berg 120/0. High baffle. Still wasn’t getting his sounds so def knew there was more to it. I believe years ago on the old blog section Johnny sated he used a berg Larsen years ago.
            Going to work on my flutter tounge to add to my playing. Thanks again!

Mel
            Participant

Purdy!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.