Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Introduce Yourself Hello everybody, just a beginner from Melbourne Australia

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Nathan Senevirathne
    Participant

Today I got a Tenor Sax as I have had long interest in learning to play a sax.
      Just found Johnny Ferreira on youtube and then landed on “how to play saxophone” website.
      So, what would be the starting point would be?
      If your answer is telling me to buy his “How To Play The Saxophone – A Complete Beginner’s Guide” for $9.99 USD may please ask following questions?
      Is it a book or video cd?
      Are there video clips which demonstrate things clearly or everything explained in words like a book?
      cheers
      Nathan

Michael Bishop
      Participant

Hi Naleen–nice to have you here; and from Australia too; really cool. My wife and I have always wanted to go visit Australia. We were actually just talking about that 2 days ago 🙂 Cool that you found Johnny’s site on youtube, which is how I found it too. And so glad that I did to say the least! “How to Play the Saxophone-A beginner’s guide” is an ebook; and is a great, great way to start to learn how to play the Saxophone. It combines video links with the written info that teaches you the fundamentals of playing the Sax. It’s like having one-on-one instruction from him personally and is superb investment for only $9.99, costs less than buying a pizza (He could have easily sold it for way more) Here on the home page, under “Saxophone Lessons” there are a number of lessons that you can use that, again, revolve around the fundamentals of playing the Saxophone. I started to learn how to play the Saxophone back in May of this year and I combined Johnny’s ebook with the lessons here on the home page. You can go to the “blog” section and look on part 2 of member’s Saxophone videos and you’ll see me playing the song “What a wonderful World”, using Johnny’s backtrack/sheet music available to get in the “Saxophone Music” section. It was my first time ever to play without looking at sheet music on a page/playing by memory. While I still have a long way to go-will be ready for his “How to Play Killer Blues” ebook in time soon to come, it does show that if you apply yourself to what he teaches in his ebook & lessons here on the home page that you will learn how to play that Tenor that you just got for yourself. I have an Alto Saxophone that I’m learning to play with………for now anyway 🙂 Have fun and nice to have you as a member!

Nathan Senevirathne
        Participant

I bought the book but unfortunately I didn’t find anything more than I could find from this website freely.
          But I am happy as I could appreciate what Johnny Ferreira had done by buying this book.
          If I give you my feedback to make your business better, I would like to point out that you could have added videos that explain about techniques and notes comprehensively into book while videos related to basic stuff are freely available within the site.
          For an example, Can’t Help Falling in Love music sheet has few more important techniques which had not been discussed within the book.
          The notes joined by a slur and some bars have notes more than 4/4. Look at the 4th line. First bar of 4th line starts with a half note and cram 3 quarter notes, which are more than 4/4. I couldn’t find anything about those things from the book although it had that music sheet.
          Anyway I would like to thank Johnny Ferreira again for putting all of his effort to make those videos.
          Cheers

john
          Keymaster

Hi naleen, thanks for the input.
            Every video I record is for one specific purpose or lesson. There are plenty of free videos on the site but while one or 2 might be part of the book’s fingering lessons for example, most others I recorded for the book are for specific lessons in the book.
            In other words, I didn’t just grab all the videos already on the site and make a book out of them which sounds like what you are implying.
            Also, you must follow the book step-by-step because it is put together in such a way that a person wanting to learn how to play the saxophone (hence the title of the book) is guided from lesson to lesson arranged in a comprehensive order that will make the process the most efficient.
            Regarding the notes in the sheet music for “Can’t Help Falling in Love” 1st bar of the 4th line… they are correct.
            The bar contains a half note followed by a quarter note triplet which equals 2 beats. It’s simple math if you think about it right? The song is in 4/4 time and 2 + 2 =4. You looked at the triplet as 3 quarter notes but in written music, when we put the lines with a 3 between them it turns those 3 notes into a triplet.
            But this explanation is in the book, actually there’s an entire lesson on triplets…go back and check it out.

thanks
            Johnny

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.