Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Introduce Yourself Hi From N Ireland

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    gavan caldwell
    Participant

My name is gavan – I am 64yrs young – unemployed due to company cut backs.
      Attended Jools Holland concert in Belfast couple of yrs ago – just enjoyed the saxophone sound – because of my age
      and no music ability I thought it would be impossible for me to play – to cut a long story short I took some lessons and hired a alto saxophone — I find it hard enough and certainly have no natural talent – took my Grade 1 musice theory exam and got a good pass mark — I intend to do grade 2 over the winter months – I am not into heavy jazz but tend to like ballads classical and hymn music.
      I have a Yamaha 62 Tenor now – try to practice once a day between housework!!
      I am still pretty useless but have suprised myself as I can play some tunes like Danny Boy The Swan Lake etc.
      Trying to improve on scales which I enjoy — can play low notes okay but still rusty on octave high notes like E & F
      My brother gave me his keyboard and I find that I can understand music a little more.
      My Mum played piano and she sent me to lessons at 10yrs of age but I was so afraid of the teacher.
      Would love to be able to play to her now — just to see the delight on her face.
      2ej10-Gavan-Caldwell-pic-2014.jpg

john
      Keymaster

Great Gavan, thanks for your info. Good on you and I think the keyboard is a huge benfit to help understand music better and so will spill over to the sax learning.
        The Yamaha is a very nice horn so as long as it’s in good working order you should be fine. Let us know your mouthpiece and reed set up though…

gavan caldwell
        Participant

I use the yamaha 4c mouthpiece have tried more expensive ones like the Otto and Wanne makes which I am sure
          are maybe much better but the Yamaha one works best for me.
          I also use a plastic reed 2-5 which saves all the hassle of dipping in water but it lasts much longer and to be honest I think again it works better for me.
          my practice routine is a bit boring but I just spend some time on the scales – doing chromatic scale now.
          spend some time doing long notes and then play a few pieces – working on the The Swan which is a beautiful piece – I am far
          from perfect but seem to be getting a little better as time goes on – but no gig bookings just yet!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.