Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Reeds how to break in a reed

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    sxpoet
    Participant
      sxpoet
      Participant
        sxpoet
        Participant
          sxpoet
          Participant
            sxpoet
            Participant
              sxpoet
              Participant
                Jeff
                Participant

One tip I can give is to never put the ligature on the way they show in these pictures. I turn it around 180° so the clamp and screws are at the top. I’ve found that way the ligature clamp part slides more easily over the MP and you get a tighter grip and better seal on the reed. Before I turned it around I noticed long grip marks on the reeds which prevented the ligature from tightening further. If the ligature is a little too big you can remove the screws and just file a bit from the two inside edges of the ligature clamp.

sxpoet
                  Participant

it all depends on the design of the ligature, some are designed like mine where you can have screws above the reed or on the opposite side, personal choice prevails.

The one in the photo graph above is only designed to have the screws above the reed, if you look closely, the ligature is bent slightly raised for the reed to slide under. in fact this design makes it easier to line up the reed properly in line with the mouthpiece rails. Whereas with my ligature which ever side i decide to have the screws, i have to fiddle about to get the reed aligned properly with the mouthpiece rails.

sxpoet
                    Participant

no, i’ve got it wrong, the reflection of light on the ligature in the above photo graph makes the ligature look slightly raised above the reed, so in fact it can be turned around 180 degrees.

There are some ligatures metal and rubber with a side designed to fit above the reed, but most of them have the screws on the opposite side of the reed. Clarinet players often put the ligature on like in the above photo graph.

i often use plasticover reeds on my alto and clarinet mouthpieces, i find it difficult to align them with the rails and the tip, because plasticover reeds are coated with black plastic and the mouthpieces are black.

sxpoet
                      Participant

i’m tempted to buy this ligature, looks like a winslow

https://www.thomann.de/gb/yanagisawa_yany_sixs_altsaxophon.htm

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.