Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Introduce Yourself How to improve the tone?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Nathan Senevirathne
    Participant

Hello guys,

I am just trying to improve my tone on Alto.

After searching the internet I found few great videos such as
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfx3AwECJ8E&list=PLzKGhwgWyCtcHqmyNemg0VIrLgo5vvCFz
      http://www.bestsaxophonewebsiteever.com/improve-your-tone-without-picking-up-the-horn/

But I wonder if any of you know any more techniques to improve the tone in Alto.

cheers

Michael Bishop
      Participant

Hi Naleen, Johnny has some lessons here on the home page under “tone development” that I use just about every day and have been great. Remember that we play the Sax with our diaphragm, and that’s where we want to focus on developing our tone. The one exercise that has really been great for me of Johnny’s is practicing those long notes, holding them for as long as you can (without passing out), playing them smooth and even. he also shows on the that exercise that we can play those notes louder, softer, etc., and it’s all controlled in the diaphragm. Go to the home page and check it out when you get the chance.

Nathan Senevirathne
        Participant

Thanks a lot

john
          Keymaster

Naleen, if you combine even some of the tips you’ve come across with a couple of the ones I’ve posted like long tones and octave exercises, you will be doing more than enough. The key is to do a few of these properly and as often as you can. These are the 2 most important points. The more time you spend blowing properly into your sax the quicker and the better your tone will become.
            I don’t know how long you’ve been playing but it’s not necessary to do too many different things. I say this because you are searching for more and more stuff. The exercises mentioned in the video above are great ones to do. Every exercise a good instructor teaches is taught because there is a reason for it so make sure you understand why the particular exercise is recommended and stick with it for a few months, always analyzing what you’re doing, what’s working and whats not and then why. Recording yourself is very valuable from the beginning because we don’t notice too much on a daily basis, but if we record ourselves after a few months, or even weeks we can hear a difference if we’ve been doing things right and often.

Lee Dove
            Participant

What does the guy keep putting in his mouth before playing ???

john
              Keymaster

I’m guessing a mouthpiece guard. Usually it’s glued on to the top of the mp to protect it from being worn down by your teeth. I’ve never seen someone do it this way before.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.