Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Reeds i finished testing 6 different d’addario reeds

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    sxpoet
    Participant

My testing for each read was playing through all the Major Scales, followed by playing along to Johnny’s Michele track, as i was looking for a suitable classical dark sound to match the track. My dark mouthpiece is somewhere between jazz and classical but not suitable for rock music. There is a vast difference in the reed sounds some are better in playing a classical sound and some are better for slight buzzy jazz sound, and a few are so loud they would be heard above other instruments

Testing 6 different D’addario reeds, notice the different reed strength numbers i used, all are playable reeds, i could barely play altissimo G on my dark mouthpiece, and the altissimo G was always very week – imho that’s down to using a dark mouthpiece. On my bright mouthpiece i can easily knock strong loud altissimo G’s

Day One -The La Voz Reed (MH) – i’ve ruled out, it’s playable, but not responding as well as i would like, and the sound isn’t suitable for my dark mouthpiece, a very stuffy sound.
      IDEAL FOR: JAZZ, ROCK, EDUCATIONAL, SCHOOL MUSIC

Day Two -The Organic Reserve Reed (No3) – excellent, just perfect sounding and response for my dark mouthpiece, definitely a classical sound.
      IDEAL FOR: CLASSICAL, CHAMBER, EXPERIMENTAL, NEW

Day Three – The Organic Select Jazz Unfiled Reed (3M) – it’s playable, responds better than the La Vox Reed, but the tone is too hard for a classical sound, compared to the Organic Reserve Reed. More of a Jazz tone.

IDEAL FOR: JAZZ, ROCK

Day Four – The Organic Select Jazz Filed Reed (3M) – Very good, giving me a firm soft buzzy jazz sound, not suitable for a classical sound, but great for a more jazz sounding effect.

IDEAL FOR: JAZZ, ROCK

Day Five – VENN SYNTHETIC REED (No2.5) – Excellent, i can’t believe it, the 1st synthetic reed that works on my Alto. Clear notes in all major scales. It’s definitely a buzzy jazz sound, more suited to jazz than classical as it projects louder. very quick responding and lively.
      IDEAL FOR: JAZZ, OUTDOOR MARCHING, CLASSICAL, ROCK, CHAMBER, EXPERIMENTAL, NEW

Day Six – The Plasticover Reed (No3.5) – excellent, clear notes, but very very loud sounding with a slight buzz, more jazzy sounding, too loud to be classical sounding. This reed really projects loud, if you want to be heard above other instruments. Reed is similar to the synthetic reed, as you don’t need to wet it, plays straight away.
      IDEAL FOR: ROCK, POP, LATIN, JAZZ, OUTDOOR MARCHING, ROCK

sxpoet
      Participant

if you want a big change in sound, trying different reeds is the 1st thing to do, don’t just think you have to change mouthpieces.

if all fails, then try a different mouthpiece.

but if you change mouthpiece, then you are back to square one, as all those reeds you tried out will play differently.

then when you’ve found the correct reed for your mouthpiece, try out a metal ligature and a non-metal ligature.

next i’m going to test out 7 different vandoren reeds.

sxpoet
        Participant

sxpoet
          Participant

Jeff
            Participant

At thirty one seconds he lost me at the photo copier. Tell me it wasn’t staged?

Talk about distractions!!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.