Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Share a Video I Got Loaded solos drove me back to sax

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Liam Williams
    Participant

This Los Lobos song features, I believe, Steve Berlin, Philly sax band member. It got me to open my case after 25 years and buckle down in retirement to seriously study this incredible instrument. Years ago it was about playing higher register solos like Talk to Me Southside Johnny in Long Beach Island NJ bars and mostly the after gig festivities. PS The live version solos don’t come near these studio solos so maybe another studio musician played them???

Mel
      Participant

Good one!

john
        Keymaster

the only member of Los Lobos that didn’t play on all the records was the drummer. The very famous Jim Keltner played on some of their stuff but all the other members actually did all their own tracks.
          They hung out a bit in Vancouver and I spend the day with their bass player in our studio. we also did a show with them in London England and I got to know Steve Berlin a bit.
          I’m also a big fan and bout this album when it came out in the early 80’s.

Liam Williams
          Participant

Always great hearing those stories thanks for sharing Johnny.

Steve B created this magic in the studio which I hope to witness in a live performance but instead get served a watered down version. Is playing rock sax live on stage entirely different from the studio? Do the lows get lost and require upper register to pierce the wall of sound from multiple guitars?

john
            Keymaster

yes most definately. especially when playing with a loud guitar player who is the lead/star guy which I did for many years.
              screaming altissimo notes are a must!
              I should tell you what Steve Berlin shared with me, I don’t think many people are aware of this…
              while we chatted backstage about sax stuff we eventually got to reeds of course and he showed me his which he had been playing for many years and would last up to around 20 years of full time playing.
              He had 3-4 of them and was most likely set for life on reed supply.
              Of course I was totally amazed and he said this German company made them but sold out to a large French company who immediately killed them off. He was lucky to have found the few he had. I jokingly offered him some money for just one but there was no way!
              and yes these were 100% natural cane reeds.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.