Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions I Have Identified My Saxophone

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jonathan Hurst
    Participant

After 2 days of searching, I have discovered my saxophone is a Evette & Schaeffer C Melody Saxophone. The Serial Number is 63759, patent is December 8th, 1914. I cannot find a Evette & Schaeffer Neck anywhere (Yes, Mine does not have a neck)

I did find some Buescher and Conn C Melody Necks, about 100 dollars each. Can anybody let me know if one of these necks can or will fit my Evette * Schaeffer C Melody Saxophone? If you can, I really appreciate it. Saxophones sure are a pain, the older they get, and if the neck is missing.

I appreciate it everybody!
      7egq2-CAM000011.jpg
      6x43g-CAM000051.jpg
      10q1x-CAM000031.jpg

john
      Keymaster

I would take my sax to where the necks are being sold and just try to put it on. If it’s not too loose it will do. Keep in mind a repair man can make minor adjustments on the neck fitting as well.

Jonathan Hurst
        Participant

Thanks Johnny. The necks are on a website only, aquilasax.com

I found some Conn, Buescher, and Holton Necks. I can use these, and get them adjusted as needed?

Are C Melodies still popular?

john
          Keymaster

I can tell you that my repair guy adjusted a neck from another sax to fit my tenor so it is possible depending on how close the fit is. I think only the repair people will be able to say for sure after looking at it.
            C melody saxes stopped being made around 1930-1940. They were popular at one time I guess but they were not one of the types that Adolph sax invented. They started to be produced in America because they other saxes were in different keys like Bb and Eb and so to make it a concert instrument they made the C melody, it played in C concert like the piano and guitar etc and so the player didn’t have to worry about transposing. I’m not sure why they lost out in popularity, maybe because they didn’t sound as good as the tenor or as good as the alto. I would buy one just for the fun and interest and since you have one maybe do some research on them. There are still some out there so you’re nor alone, just not a large group anymore.

Michael Bishop
            Participant

Now this is amazing….a C concert Saxophone?!? I did some research on this model of Sax on wikipedia.org–scroll down and there’s some pretty amazing history under the theme “Production History”. They bring out that this model of sax is smaller than a Tenor but bigger than an Alto and that production of them stopped after the Wall Street Crash of 1929 due to financial reasons rather than what they call “inherent flaw”. Check out the info. in the link here, it’s really interesting reading 🙂 Just seems like the more I learn about the Saxophone, the less I know LOL
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_melody_saxophone

Jonathan Hurst
              Participant

I know, I just learned myself what they were! I have Johnny’s opinion, now I would like yours Baboon. Do you think getting a Conn neck for My Evette & Schaeffer C Melody sax is a good idea?

Michael Bishop
                Participant

Jhurst556–I don’t have near enough experience to voice my opinion about what you do there; I wouldn’t even know where to start with that one LOL When it comes to the Saxophone, I’ve always found Johnny’s advice to be right on the money. An example: I have a new Trevor James Alto Sax coming within 90 days of getting back home now in December (so, so excited! I was supposed to have it this past Spring and my wife was involved in a car accident)–Johnny did a review of the Trevor James and put it on the blog. The way he did that review, I saw exactly what I needed to see in his review to know that this is the Sax for me. So, what’s the point? Johnny knows what he’s talking about. What ever he’s saying, you can be sure that it’s sound advice.

Anonymous

I’ll chime in and say do as Johhny says! Which is sound common sense – try before you buy!
                    From what i’ve read, and i’m probably wrong, its the combined length of the neck & mouthpiece in relation to where the octave key holes are that could have a bearing on the sound in the middle/high registers (could be taking gibberish). But its an interesting problem you have there!
                    I for one, cant wait to hear how it sounds!!

Lee Dove
                    Participant

The other thing to check with a new neck is that the octave key mechanism is the same and will match the body links .

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.