Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions I need a good tuner to help me–any recommendations from anyone?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

Hi guys,
      I’ve been using youtube videos online to help me with tuning the Saxophone and MP placement on the cork, but it looks like this isn’t working too well for me and my ears so I need to get a tuner that’s going to help me really “hone in” on those frequencies/notes. I’ve seen loads of loads on Tuners on Amazon and I stopped by a local shop to check out their tuners, but they always seem to be interested in selling you things that you really don’t need if you get my meaning. Is anyone using a good, modest tuner that they can recommend to me? It doesn’t need to be elaborate. Thanks for your help 🙂

jake
      Participant

I just use a free app on my iPod that seems pretty sufficient. It has a needle that goes sharp and flat to show u a range. It also can change keys. I use either Eb or Bb. It’s called free chromatic tuner. It seems pretty good for me.

Anonymous

i use an ap on my i-touch called tunable, which is a metronome and
          a tuner. i like the metronome because it flashes colours in time,
          which helps if i cant hear the beats, in can see if i’m in time.

https://appsto.re/gb/7HzrK.i

i was also worried the ap wasn’t reliable, so i bought this
          beast

http://www.sax.co.uk/korg-tm50-tunermetronome.ir

it turns out the ap’s on the i-touch are just as reliable!

the problem with the korg – it only shows concert pitch,
          with the ap i can get it to display alto sax pitch instead!

but don’t rule out the old fashioned way – just use the notes on a keyboard or piano, which is my preference

Anonymous

when i play JF’s backing tracks on my i-touch connected
            to a speaker system, i use the tunable ap

https://appsto.re/gb/7HzrK.i

at the same time to record my sax using my i-touch.

i also bought an ap called n-track

https://appsto.re/gb/gDMpz.i

After recording my sax using the tunable ap, the
            tunable ap allows me to open the recording in the
            n-track ap. I then use the n-track ap to e-mail it to
            my pc!

welcome to my boring world of recording!

jake
            Participant

Who cares if it’s boring James as long as it’s working for you. We all learn and function differently. Options are great because what works for one may not be as effective for someone else.

William Cingolani
              Participant

I use an app on my iPhone called CLEARTUNE.I ALSO HAVE A YAMAHA CHROMATIC TUNER.

Michael Bishop
                Participant

Thanks guys, I’ll check them out. Jake makes a great point about what works for one person may not work well for someone else–same thing holds true with so many things like MPs and Reeds. So many things are “subjective”.

Kevin
                  Participant

I use a free app called- PANO Tuner. I-phone or Android.
                    It responds fast enough so that I can have it near a speaker of a recording I did, and I can see how in tune dynamically the notes are being played. Of course the notes you will want to zero in on have to have a little duration/sustain to them. It will even respond to the speed of a vibrato and you can watch if the vibrato biases sharp or flat.
                    You will readily see the notes you need to correct with embrochure.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.