Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Saxophone Lessons If anyone out there hasnt gotten Johnnys ebook “How to Play the Saxophone”….youre missing out.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

I tell you, buying Johnny’s ebook “How to play the Saxophone” has got to be the No.1 biggest thing that has helped me learn to play the basics of the Saxophone-along with having access to him and other players here on this site and the practice drills on the home page; along with HOURS AND HOURS of practicing 😀 I’m on page 70 now, starting to learn all the major scales and I’m going to learn ALL OF THEM to where I can play them without even thinking about it before moving on-probably will spend almost the rest of this year on that by itself; Metronome will really help here. When I learned about Chromatic scales in his book, it blew me away because you could spend an endless amount of hours playing Chromatic scales alone! And then to use those to play a Glissando?!? Talk about skill! When I started learning to play the Saxophone back in May, I had no idea what a ligature was, embouchure, etc.—I was actually going to upload a 2nd video to the blog now this weekend, and of all things THE SOUND (no joke) on our cpu is not working (how convenient) so off to the repair man it goes. The point I wanted to emphasize with everyone is this: If you haven’t gotten Johnny’s ebook on How to Play the Saxophone……then you’re missing out.

john
      Keymaster

ya you’re on the right track Michael. just to learn major scales alone will increase anyone’s ability by a ton. I mean really learn them without reading the notes, and be able to play a C# as easily and same tempo as a C, an F# as easily as an F etc. Once you know what the notes are don’t read them anymore, this will only slow you down.

BTW guys I will be away for a few days and performing on an Island so don’t know if I’ll be online all the time or not…so if there’d a problem with downloads or something please be patient for a few days and I’ll get right back to ya.

Johnny

Michael Bishop
        Participant

Right now, I don’t read the notes at all; in fact what I was about to upload to the blog was with no note sheet and backtrack music 🙂 Will there be anyway you can have at least some of you playing at the Island where you’re going uploaded to the blog or something for the rest of us to see? I finish my degree as an RN in 6 months 🙂 🙂 🙂 And my wife really likes the thought of moving to Hawaii, as an RN I can work pretty much anywhere in the world I want to. It’s been a LONG, LONG, LONG road to get to this point in my medical training, but the sense of accomplishment that it gives you is really hard to describe–Same thing will apply with the Saxophone for that matter 🙂

john
          Keymaster

you can work in the day and play your sax on the beaches at night… sounds good to me!
            The people I’m working with will probably be recording some of it and so if they do I’ll see if I can get it and post some of it…let you know.

Michael Bishop
            Participant

When whoever you’re working with out there tells you how awesome your performance was, just remind them that you do it all for the fans–that should give them enough reason to provide you with some video footage to upload to the blog/youtube for the rest of us to see 🙂 Playing on the beaches at night?!? Oh man……….. WOW. One of the things we have been instructed is that hospitals will ask you, before they hire you, is what do you do for relaxation in your free time. It may sound silly to think of that as a question for a job interview, but it in the medical field it’s very important. It demands a lot of you psychologically and they really emphasize the need to take care of yourself. Should we actually move to a place like Hawaii; that would be the perfect answer; I couldn’t resist not doing that. WOW.

James
              Participant

Hi, Baboon. I have the How To Play The Saxophone book. Right now I’m working on the G Scale exercises in the book. On my own, I’ve been learning, so far, F#, Bb, B, C, and D scales. I play them by ear- not by reading. As my handle, telecaster, suggests, I’m a guitar player so I already understood major and blues/minor scales. I want to play blues on my tenor sax with the blues guitarists who generally play blues in E and A. So, on the tenor, I’ve been working on the F# and B blues/minor scales, respectively. I also have Johnny’s How To Play Killer Blues And Rockin’ Sax Solos With 7 Notes Or Less ebook. On the side, I’ve been working on Mack The Knife, Moon River, On The Sunny Side Of The Street, and The Girl From Ipanema. On the tenor and alto saxes. I’m using sheet music here but trying to learn to play these tunes without the music in front of me. I have the backing tracks for these tunes.

I agree, HTPTS is a great learning experience for me. And it’s cheap. I have the ebook.

Juan Segura
                Participant

Just purchased the “How to Play the Saxophone” and this is a solid investment. I have browsing the ebook and just by doing that, I have learned something already. I am currently recovering from oral surgery(minor) and am excitedly anticipating picking up my Bundy Alto and start learning. Will keep y’all posted.
                  h195h-image.jpg

James
                  Participant

I have it as an ebook, too. Good luck and keep us informed! Jim

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.