Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Improvisation Improvisation with Johnny

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

William – spend at least a week working on the 1st video in lesson 2, playing the 8 modes for the two chords with a metronome and with the backing track loop. Then have a go at doing the same thing with the three 2-5-1 chords for only three bars of your other music sheet, that way you can start to slowly build up how to improvise from your other music sheets. Don’t be tempted to jump ahead in Johnny’s course until you can do identical stuff in some of your own music sheets outside the course. When you start working on other music sheets, these early improvisations won’t be spectacular, but they will get better and better as you progress further through the improvisation course.

RockinRobin
      Participant

SXPOET
        I started Lesson 2 with the Johnny’s Mode chart yesterday and the “What does it take” loop
        William

Anonymous

William – the mode chart exercise is better explained in the 1st video of the Tenor lesson for lesson 2. It took me a few days to be able to do it from memory. Playing the modes was easy, but trying to remember which mode to play in both chords was the difficult bit, that’s down to how well you know your chords. By the end of the week you should be able to play along to the loop in time and in time with a metronome beforehand.
          sx

Anonymous

A few years back i did 3 months learning to improvise with my sax teacher and we only worked with the G Blues pentatonic scale and most of the work was similar to Johnny’s course.

There’s no short cut way around improvising, you have to know scales and chords and do all these related exercises.

The only problem with practicing improvising, you could be in danger of loosing your music sheet reading skills in terms of playing in time with music sheet backing tracks. So keep playing your music sheets and make sure you use a metronome with the improvisation work before using any loops.

saxomonica
            Participant

Ya. Grooveee! Heya i found this game [below] to gear up for hours of mihdful fun. Think it helps to visualize where the fingers go on keys rather than naming the note, that is being yo assist with sight reading ……

http://band.school.nz/saxophone/

RockinRobin
              Participant

Playing modes at home is a “not allowed”, House members tell me to stop playing scales and modes
                William

Anonymous

send them out on an errand and get the house to yourself, or play in a garage or shed outside the house.

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.