Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Share a Video Junior Walker "What Does It Take" Live

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

This is a pretty cool version of Junior Walker playing “What Does It take?” Pretty groovy licks and riffs he’s playing, seems like the simpler we can keep things, the better it sounds/to listen to. Love this stuff 🙂

Bill Mecca
      Participant

I remember one of my instructors saying Junior’s playing was basic, but “tasty.” Always remembered that. lol. Early on he played a SS Berg, but later in his career, and in this clip its a Lawton. Sounds the same, just shows it’s the player and not the gear. 😉

Michael Bishop
        Participant

That is exactly right Bill, that’s awesome you know that too. There are things we can buy that can help, but just like you said it’s the player behind the horn that makes all the difference in the world. Along these same lines, check out this video a youtube friend of mine sent me from his channel. He’s a really cool guy. On a side note, as soon as I get my USB Interface/mics from Amazon late next month I will be uploading Johnny’s “What Does It Take” I’ll need few days to experiment with the Interface, you know how editing goes. I really appreciate feedback from experienced players like you to help address areas where I need help 🙂

Anonymous

absolutely correct the human voice is unique to each person.
            if either of you start singing neither of you will ever sound like michael jackson.

because the mouthpiece is so close to your oral cavity the sound coming out of the mouthpiece will be very close to your voice – so obviously neither of you will ever sound like kenny g.

so based on that yes – you will sound the same on every mouthpiece.

how ever different mouthpieces will have a different timbre , some mouthpieces will suppress a lot of the higher overtones and make it sound darker, others will bring out the higher overtones and make the mouthpiece sound brighter. Very important if you are a classical player.

Same thing applies to saxophones – selmars have a unique sound which you won’t get with other brands. vintage sax’s sound a lot different to modern day sax’s

ligatures can dampen and brighten the mouthpiece sound.

yes you will sound the same, but by varying your set up you can change the timbre of your sound, darken it or brighten it, sharpen it or silent it, amplify it or quiten it.

but i am looking forward to hearing your uploads with your new mic, and i’m sure the quality will improve vastly.

i’m not an experienced sax player – but i’ve played guitar for over 40 ys, played piano for several years – so i know a lot from the feel of sound. acoustic Guitars & pianos range vastly in timbre – i’ve played on guitars in shops costing more than a price of a selmar, and still not found a tone/timbre that grabs me enough to buy – the only difference they are so fantastically built – its dream to play them finger wise compared to a cheap guitar. a cheap guitar can tire your hands out in a matter if minutes, where as a well built one you play for hours. i don’t know if that applies to more expensive sax’s? apparantly you can get a sax repair guy to loosen up the key action and make it easier to play?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.