Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions Just born

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Pedro Perez
    Participant

Well I’m new here, I just got me a tenor saxophone because I love the sound when played well. The problem is I can’t even make a decent sound out of it. I know I need more practice reading the notes most of the I time played by ear when I played the keyboard and practiced the violin but that was ages ago when I had less responsibilities. I’ve always wanted to play the sax now that I got one…it’s like that kid wanting an official red Ryder carbine action 200 shot BB gun. I feel very frustrated and disappointed but instead of getting hurt I’m hurting a different way. I don’t or can’t see what I’m doing wrong, the sax I got from a store brand new so most likely not that. I really don’t want to return it I do want to learn just frustrated with myself. I’ve seen a lot of videos and read stuff on internet also. Is this a common thing or did many of you just jump in the deep end and became Olympic swimmers? Also I’m having trouble finding a teacher and the school local college wants to teach their music I’m interested in 50’s rock few R&B tunes too. One more question does the size of the “chamber” on mp have anything to do with sound? I don’t know if mines a small, med., or large. Thanks to anyone reading my ramblings

john
      Keymaster

Your questions/concerns are all typical and valid at this point. I got me a tenor in the late 70’s cause “I liked the sound” too and have been lovin it ever since! First you need to make sure your sax works properly, just cause it’s new from the store doesn’t mean it will. They are a strange beast that even a minor thing on it can cause enough grief for a total beginner. The next thing is to get someone who can play to try it (the repair shop will usually have at least one person there to do that). A teacher should watch you to make sure you’re doing things right after it’s been established that it’s all in good working order.
        The mouthpiece chamber size has a lot to do with everything. Experienced players go for “Big” to get a bigger sound but when you’re starting out this large opening/chamber will make it more difficult to play so you need a smaller one to start on.
        Having said all that… just in case your sax is in good shape and your mp isn’t to large, follow a couple of lessons to see if you can get over the first couple of hurdles, that is to try and make some sounds out of it. Go to the home page and click the very first free lessons under “Beginners” and have a go at it. Let us know what happens.

good luck
        Johnny

Pedro Perez
        Participant

We’ll I looked up my mp and it’s big chamber, the reed I’m using is a 2.5 Vandoren in a blue pack. How I understand the blowing is my stomach is comparable to a bellow my throat tube hole comparable to the nozzle and I’m supposed to control the air going into the saxophone. Is that sort a the correct analogy? Not using my lungs. We’ll I finally was able to produce some notes but I still believe I need to learn to breath properly to have better tone. I also had to bite down on the reed just a hair it sounded much better but my bottom lip feels bruised, when I was in boxing it got bruised bad but this is from the reed vibrating as I write this it still feels vibrating. I’m still searching for a teacher and I want to get a second opinion on the condition of my “new” sax, just in case. But over all you’ve helped me a lot good pointers I’m very happy to finally get some pleasant noise!!! Tomorrow I want to just practice breathing maybe hold a steady tune or something. I’m not familiar with the terminology for that, if there is one. Also will one of those electric tuners be able to pick up what note I’m in? I discovered I’m out of tune myself unfortunately. I’ll say I’ve improved when my dog stays in the room with me. Thank you so much for all you do. Btw Unchained Melody, Johnny B Goode are just beautifully played. I was originally looking to play sea cruise when I found your version and just followed from there. I just didn’t think sax was so tricky to start with but now I’m feeling more confident so again thank you for all you do.

UU Pfister
          Participant

Hello
            Maybe you should try a 1.5 or 2 reed at the beginning. A 2.5 is a bit hard for a beginner. I’m using a 2 Vandoren ZZ and a 2 La Voz.
            Happy practicing.

Pedro Perez
            Participant

Yes I will try that also thank you very much UU, I do appreciate all ideas I never know what I miss being new. Even here I don’t know how I missed some of Johnnys lessons for beginners.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.