Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Repertoire Lee Allen and Little Richard Sax covers.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

Hi Johnny,
      One of your songs that’s on my to-do list here pretty soon is Hot Rod Special, great stuff to say the least 🙂 Sometime in 2016, have you thought about doing “Walking with Mr.Lee”? I was also thinking about how some Sax covers by Little Richard would be great, something like “Keep a Knockin'” or “Long Tall Sally”…if this stuff is worth your time financially. I think Little Richard has so many songs that would sound great on the Saxophone and that’s the “problem” LOL deciding which one to do LOL “Lucille” and “Good Golly Miss Molly” are also great 🙂

john
      Keymaster

Yes most definitely
        Just a matter of time or finding the time to do it
        I love that stuff and have toured with an amazing little Richard tribute artist that looks and sounds like the real one and so have played all those songs quite a bit

Michael Bishop
        Participant

yeah, that’s why I say sometime in 2016, time/being busy 🙂 Dig that killing Sax sound on Little Richard’s Sax covers, fantastic stuff to say the least 🙂 Man, that solo especially “Long Tall Sally”……brings a smile to my face 🙂
          I just learned the Sax solo for Ray Charles’ “I Got A Woman” and I’m working on the main melody right now. Funny thing is that the song was in the key of A and for Tenor that meant playing it in B…I just finished a Improvised Blues Instrumental for Alto Sax that had to be played in the key of B too 🙂 Karaoke actually had a good backing track for this song LOL The Sax solo for “I Got A Woman” is pretty easy to play….I HAD to do this one for me wife, she made getting my new Saxophone possible for me 🙂 We move into our new place starting this Thursday morning (talk about putting a lot of work, time and $ into this new house), will start uploading soon thereafter. Thanks for your autographed pic Johnny 🙂 I will be seen on the wall behind me in coming uploads.

Michael Bishop
          Participant

Here would be another great one to do…Fats Domino is from New Orleans, just a few hours from me 🙂 The Sax in this song sounds like it’s Lee Allen playing?

john
            Keymaster

Yes I believe that would be him in tenor
              Here’s a live version with Lee Allen:

Michael Bishop
              Participant

I thought I heard that Lee Allen sound in there 🙂 It’s almost like after listening to this stuff so much you just about know whose playing it because it’s their “voice” on the Sax I guess you could say. Fats Domino lives only a few hours from me..when Hurricane Katrina hit, everyone thought he had passed away like this interview shows. Notice how they talk about what New Orleans is known for…the same thing can easily be said for this entire area, that easily includes Little Rock. King Curtis, being from Texas, has a song on the beginning of his “Rock and Roll” album where he talks about being in Little Rock, go figure 🙂 These guys are still mega-popular even to this day..there are older folks here I’ve been introduced to recently who told me that actually saw King Curtis play live here in Little Rock..they told me his performances still sticks out in their minds to this day, even after all these years…wow 🙂

Bengt Ostling
                Participant

Would love to learn Tic Toc by Lee Allen as well!

//Bengt

Michael Bishop
                  Participant

Hey Bengt,
                    That’s really funny timing you mention that song in particular, just 2 days ago I downloaded it to my cpu LOL Funny timing 🙂 Yeah, there’s great things we learn by listening to these guys, they all had their own “voice” on the Sax and we can incorporate that into our own playing. With Lee Allen, his licks/riffs were very simple and rhythmically accurate; that’s what stands out to me anyway. So that’s a good lesson for us, we can use those same techniques in our playing…just keep it simple!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.