Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Repertoire Lost in the song

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Matt Wheeler
    Participant

Hey Johnny,i have a good one for ya. I have been practising some songs and reading sheet music. That is not the problem,the problem is that after awhile i find myself not looking at the music and seem to just start playing from either memory or by ear knowing where the notes are now after going through the song a few times. I’m not sure if this is good or bad but when i get to a point in the song that i’m not sure of or know i have to stop and try to find out where it is on the sheet music and then continue. Should i try to break this habit or just go with it. Also after awhile i can’t seem to remember what the notes are on the sheet music i have to really start thinking more as i play and this seems to slow me down and distract me at the same time. Am i practising to much? I’m still able to play the song.

john
      Keymaster

Seems pretty normal what you’re describing. It sounds like you’re almost getting the music memorized but not all the way through. I would try to visualize it all the way through. Figure out where it is you’re stopping, is it always around the same place? If so, work from there on bit by bit, this way you’ll eventually get to the end by memory. Memorizing music is like memorizing a poem or lyrics… it can be done bit by bit, in this case more like bar by bar.

Matt Wheeler
        Participant

Ok.Thanks ,I will continue on with the way things are going. I appreciate the advise.
          Have a great weekend.
          Mattsax.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.