Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Share a Video Louis Prima "Night Train" Lots of energy here!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

I started working on a Tenor Sax Instrumental of “Jump, Jive and Wail” which will have the famous solo of course 🙂 as well as some Improvisation on the Tenor that will be in place of the piano and trumpet that you hear on the originally recording–the kind of Improvisation I’ve been learning from Johnny in Killer Blues is “right up the alley” for songs like this too 🙂 As I’ve started working on Jump, Jive and Wail, I simply can’t help but notice the “energy” that is in the way these guys played their music, lots of enthusiasm, soul, heart, etc. in the way they played. That’s something that notes on a page can’t teach any of us. I just think it’s really important that we should “feel” the way we wanna sound/play and I thought that Louis Prima’s “Night Train” below is great example of just that 🙂

Michael Bishop
      Participant

When I watch these guys play and watch Johnny play, it seems like these guys had a big influence on Johnny’s playing 🙂

Dazza
        Participant

Johnny I found your lesson on how to play Night Train on youtube but did you record your own version somewhere?

jake
          Participant

that was awesome. that reminds me of my playing, im def not a stiff up there, i tend to be pretty theatrical myself. gotta have fun doing it for sure. just gotta get more buzz in my tone. im playing with new setups and hopefully a new sax in the works. a lot of it comes down to how to blow into the sax. i find when i play a slow song the buzz is not there, but when i get aggressive with the reed, like with “who can it be now”, its way buzzier sounding.
            i want that buzz sound when im playing slowed down as well. too bad they didnt sell that. lol

William Cingolani
            Participant

https://youtu.be/Oz_6IT2JNx4

My latest music video. Sir William on tenor sax. No Tears in heaven.

Michael Bishop
              Participant

Man….if listening to Sam Butera play this song with Louis Prima don’t get you hooked on the Saxophone, then there must be something wrong with you LOL On a side note, I noticed that Sam Butera doesn’t use Glissandos when playing Night Train and just hits the note really hard instead, still sounds great like that too!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.