Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Your Video Misty

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I got my sax out yesterday & started practing amazing grace, as usual i made sure my sax was in tune using Johnny’s method, did the usual warm up session. etc ..

then i started playing it to the backing tracking track using more expression. The 1st note D sounded fine, then when i started rising the volume gently going into the G note, making the G note slightly louder – the G note just didn’t sound right in fact it sounded dreadfully out of tune, so i got the tuner out, and watched the tuner and was shocked to see my G note was miles out on the tuner when i was controlling the dynamic expression – to bring the G note back into tune, i had to use a lot more lower lip pressure than on the D note, and relax off after the G.

I recall Kevin saying a similar thing in the past about watching a tuner while learning a piece, for me i have to keep an eye on my G, could be my embouchure or a quirk in my sax.

I don’t know if you are using a tuner while practicing? For me when i jump around different notes that are farther apart, some need more/less lower lip pressure control than when playing with notes that are closer together.

To play a piece with little expression makes it very easy to play in tune in terms of embouchure (how to develop a lazy embouchure) but when you bring in expression (rising softer/louder, going slower/faster etc) then you have to start working those embouchure muscles (good none lazy workout) this is when some notes will initially start going out of tune higher/lower and make a note on the sheet and a mental note if where these notes are (in my case the G, sometimes it might be just be how the G sounds in one song and not in another)
      Higher up the register sounded slightly out of tune to me (i think thats more to do with the cheap crap headphones i use to listen with)

hope my comments help and aren’t too harsh

Dazza
      Participant

Nope. Not at all James. I just went and replayed some notes using the same lip pressure I was using on the song and your ears are correct. I am about .25 flat and firming up the lip pressure a little got it spot on right through the range. Seems I was focusing so much on the notes and the track I forgot the most important piece of the puzzle. I was so happy to be getting a good sound out of the new MP and reed combo I forgot the setup do’s and that is an easy fix. Cheers

Anonymous

the sax can be such a difficult/fun instrument to play, i try to explain it to non sax players with no success!

But challenges to overcome are more rewarding – its the only instrument i’ve played which you get a real buzz out of when things go right!

like my teacher says, theres no such thing as a perfect performance – after playing we will always find fault, for me i’m just happy if i get a low number of faults!

Taking stock compared to months ago, everyone on here has vastly improved playing wise!

john
          Keymaster

Dazza, pay more attention to the band… if you listen you’ll hear how you sometimes race ahead of the track a little bit. What I do is focus on something important like the snare, in this mix it’s really upfront so very easy to hear. If you get better at playing with the track you’ll be more in time when it comes to playing with a real live band so work on this.

William Cingolani
            Participant

Hi Dazza. Nice tone. I enjoyed both songs. Great job.

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.