Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Music Theory Modes

• This topic has 19 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I did the major improvisation course many years ago and because i only new a couple of scales way back then, i struggled with it and had to put it on hold until i mastered most of the major scales and their chords, then i came back to it later on and i found it a lot easier second time round. Walk before you run.

i also tried out the jazz decks, and found them useful

worked my way through some of the IFR (improvise for real) course, found on the internet, that takes some doing – a completely different approach to improvising.

Then i got my sax teacher to teach me some improvising jazz and blues, completely different, the blues was easier and the jazz i had to put it on hold as i didn’t know all my major chords, dominant chords, minor chords etc..

the major improvisation course is well worth having a go at.

RockinRobin
      Participant

Johnny,
        Your improv course music, Pentatonic, reminded me of the Blues brother’s “Sweet Home Chicago”. I have the sheet music in G major, backing track is in F major, all seven pages. Guitar solo is about 5 pages. Too long. Nice blues. How do I combine it all or put it all together?

RockinRobin
        Participant

Johnny,
          I found a shorter version of “Sweet Home Chicago” by Eric Clapton. 5 minutes or so.

RockinRobin
          Participant

The sheet music is not the same.Doesn’t sound right

Anonymous

Great tune that one, i had a go at playing it on my Alto awhile back

RockinRobin
              Participant

Nice blowing on the alto

john
                Keymaster

William I think you’re referring to the Killer Blues course….I meant the Major Scale Improve course which is different.
                  The tracks used for Killer Blues are mostly generic blues that can be used over many many standard blues/swing songs as long as that fall into the typical 12 bar progression (which is a lot of them, including Sweet Home Chicago)

john
                  Keymaster

nice JB, cool and easy thing about a blues like that is the entire melody is made up of the 5 notes of the minor pentatonic scale.

RockinRobin
                    Participant

I need some sheet music for “Sweet Home Chicago”. I get close playing by ear but no cigar. I have lots of “Sweet Home Chicago” music but nothing is correct. Nothing fits the “Sweet Home Chicago” backing tracks I have.
                      William

Anonymous

Thanks, if a song grabs me, i find it a lot easier to come close to playing it well, otherwise i struggle with timing (due to lack of experience).

‘sweet home chicago’ – one for the key master’s list? two to get ready, three to rock & roll.

one of the things i like to do, is just play a random backing track (that doesn’t have any sax playing or singing, and i don’t know what key the track is in ) i jump in the deep end and try and find all the notes on the sax that fit the tune by ear.

I’ve memorised major7, minor7, dominant7 chords (36 in total) and i try and locate which one fits the track, also what scale notes fit the track, and jam with that.

late on i need ti memorise the minor7flat5, diminished7, augmentedwith7ths chords (36) chords off by heart.

saying all that got to wait till face-to-face music lesson start up in june (covid permitting)

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.