Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Music Theory Mrs Robinson

• This topic has 8 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    RockinRobin
    Participant

I’m looking at Mrs Robinson.
      Published key is F# minor. That is 3 sharps. What key or how many sharps will be in the backing tracks. how do i figure this stuff. If the music is A minor no sharps or flats, would the backing tracks be B minor like D with 2 sharps
      William

Anonymous

a major scale has a related minor scale ex C major related to A minor,
        it gets me confused when there are three types of minor scales – harmonic minor, melodic minor and natural minor.
        So the sharps and flats change…

RockinRobin
        Participant

I if the sheet music keg signature is one sharp, similar to key of G what is the key of backing track? F?
          William

Anonymous

for G major scale (1 sharp), the relative minor is E minor

my music sheet for the alto is a Mixolydian natural minor scale in E, which is relative to G major.
            So the sheet has F# taken from the G major scale, and being E natural minor mixolydian it also has G# and C#.

so my backing track would be Mixolydian natural minor scale in E and not a G major scale backing track.

RockinRobin
            Participant

Still working on Mrs Robinson. If the backing track is G minor, two flats would the sheet music be A minor,
              William

RockinRobin
              Participant

I have to be two semi tones above the backing tracks since I blow tenor sax
                William

Anonymous

if you move G minor up 2 semitones that should be A minor,
                  the track could be a G mixolydian minor scale, in which case play C# and F# instead of C and F

RockinRobin
                  Participant

I have the sheet music in A minor, no sharps or flats, similar to the key of C major. The backing track is downloaded in the key of G Minor , two flats like Bb
                    William

Anonymous

Sounds like you’ve sorted it out.

I play the alto, but i also practice on the EMEO midi saxophone (which can switch between concert key, Alto key and Tenor key).

Playing in Alto key, can also be confusing, as i have lots of concert key backing tracks mixed up with Alto key backing tracks.

normally if i play an Alto music sheet and the backing track is in concert key, i move the concert key backing track up or down by semitones in the software until the backing track is in Alto key – the other option is to keep the backing track in concert key and transpose the music sheet.

the only issue with transposing the music sheet, means i have to put the music sheet in some software and transpose it and then print it out. Far quicker for me to alter the backing track.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.