Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Mouthpieces My Guardala MP arrived, the studio model is JUST right for me :)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

Got my Guardala Mouthpiece today paired with the Francois Louis ligature and a Java 2.5 reed……WOW. This is the studio model Guardala, which has a medium chamber and it’s what Johnny recommended I get v.s the King model; and his recommendation hit the nail on the head for me FOR SURE 🙂 While this mouthpiece has a medium chamber/easy to play, I think had I gotten anything more “aggressive” than this and yes, it would have been difficult to play for me at this time. The Studio model produces a sounds that, while not totally as edgy as an MBII model, it’s what I would describe as a combination of as fat/edgy with a tone that is PIERCING and really “full”. It’s the ideal MP for the player who, like myself, has been on hard-rubber MPs and it’s well suited for all kinds of music. Highly recommended Mouthpiece for those of us who aren’t ready for something like a King/Super King Guardala. Thanks for your valuable insights Johnny 🙂
      [img]https://howtoplaysaxophone.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/ny282-DSC01232.JPG[/img]
      [img]https://howtoplaysaxophone.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/og3qv-DSC01233.JPG[/img]
      [img]https://howtoplaysaxophone.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/0sgo6-DSC01234.JPG[/img]

jake
      Participant

try it out and put up a video. dying to hear the sound of it!!

Michael Bishop
        Participant

Hey Jake, I’ve got some new recording equipment that I had ordered through Amazon, at the same time I ordered the Guardala- and it’s scheduled to arrive tomorrow(Thursday), so I’ll do so for sure probably sometime over the weekend. The other mic I had was just a cheap one from the local store that I was using for blog uploads (we don’t need anything elaborate for the blog) but it went on the glitz.
          Speaking of dying to hear the sound, how’s your playing coming along? I’m dying to hear you play one of Johnny’s songs LOL.

jake
          Participant

their coming along. been working pretty hard on “CRYING”. sounding pretty sweet. I will get around to recording it for the blog! Not gonna hit the altissimo B tho. haha, atleast not yet!

Michael Bishop
            Participant

That song “Crying” is fantastic for the Saxophone. I love Johnny’s new Beatles music he just released….WOW. I’ve thought about the Beatles song of “Twist and Shout” how it would sound on the Saxophone but never even thought about all the other ones he just did. It was so cool to see how he did “Yesterday”, it has the setting and feeling of an Acoustic Guitar player; so good!
              Talking about Johnny’s love songs, I was getting ready to start learning “And I love her”–my wife and I have been married for 17 years and that song in particular has a mood/feeling that helps us to settle in for the night LOL She was involved in an car accident just recently, parked at a stop sign and the other person turned into her lane instead of their lane. She did get hurt and was in the hospital but is doing okay, she’s a little shaken as you can imagine, saw her life flash before her eyes.

john
              Keymaster

Looks awesome Michael!
                Jake, I wanna hear a high note soon!!

Michael Bishop
                Participant

Hey Johnny–thanks for your awesome insights; it really helped me make a wise choice with a $200+ purchase.The studio is just right for me, had I gone with the King, or even MBII, don’t think it would have been a good choice for me at this time. I did go through your links. I was going to get the book from Amazon too regarding those high tones for the Saxophone but it will have to wait for a few weeks, started/payed for Altissimo Course first. This whole month I’m working on Chromatic scales and Arpeggios first–I can play them fine but have 1-2 rough spots that I can’t ignore.

Speaking about Chromatic scales, I’ve gotten to the part of on the solo of “The Watermelon Man” where we’re coming down chromatically from high D to low A#, good/funny timing to work on smooth/chromatic scales for me LOL. The solo is coming along great and don’t have any problems coming down chromatically; that’s not my issue. For me, it’s that ONE little rough spot I’m having to smooth out that keeps it from really flowing in this part of the solo. It’s kind of link lining Dominos up on a table; drop one of them down and they all fall down, but if one of the dominos won’t fall down then it all come to a abrupt halt……FRUSTRATION LOL

john
                  Keymaster

You’ll get a lot out of chromatics… those runs down, like you mention…I do a lot of them and they really add when you want to do a great embelishment.

Michael Bishop
                    Participant

For sure, and really glad you brought this out in the Altissimo course. I’ve always practicing them but wasn’t aware of the fact that I had this rough spot like you brought out on the video and I’m not going to ignore it either. From low Bb-to-middle Bb; from F-to-F, A-to-A; D-to-D, etc., I can play by memory any chromatic scale on the range of the Saxophone from low Bb to high F#; that’s not my problem…..now it’s getting them to be SUPER smooth.
                      Speaking of embellishments, have you thought about putting on the lessons page a video about embellishments?

BTW Jake: I want to hear some screaming notes too! LOL Give me some time and I’ll get there, I’m not off the hook either LOL

jake
                      Participant

I have been playing twist and shout on my tenor, sounds pretty good with the guitar live. I wrote it out by ear and pretty much just follow the bass line from the original song. I even do the the “ah ah ah” in the middle and it sounds pretty cool. The top A leads rite back into the bass riff. Its actually pretty easy to play!! Lots of fun and energy!!
                        On a second note, I have the top of the tones book Johnny talked about. If you don’t get it, I wouldn’t worry about it because Johhny’s Altissimo course covers the information and beyond! I have had the book awhile and really haven’t shown progress until I got into Johnny’s course!
                        Notes are coming slowly. I’m still hung up on the Altissimo G. Sometimes I can get it, other times not. When I do get it it is pretty pathetic and weak! I am adding more force from my diaphram and trying to tighten the lip up. It will eventually get there. I think using the fork f# while practicing the altissimo helps. The high f# key is easier for me but I can’t get the Altissimo G from it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.