Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Your Video My Last Date

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    William Cingolani
    Participant

Anonymous

Well played William – thanks for sharing, i’ve picked up some useful stuff from your performance. It helps me improve more , if i listen to better players than myself, and play amongst better players than myself.

I’ve just completed my grade 3 sax work, and i’m now working on my 3 songs for the upcoming exam. So technically now i’m looking more into identifying stuff i’m working on, that randomly comes up in everyones upload.

Just a question, are there any parts/bars of your upload that you think you made a mistake in, if so i’d be interested to hear where/when , and do you feel all your notes are in tune?

William Cingolani
        Participant

I think my timing could be better. About being in tune. When I listened to my exterior speakers after the recording I noticed that the needle on my Yamaha tuner was straight up most of the time and near the center all the time. My main concern is to have a nice buzz on the sax. My sax sounds a lot better by itself rather then pushing the sound through a microphone through a garage band recorder and the back out the speakers. I like to blow my sax against a brick wall. Then I can hear what I sound like. Thanks for stopping by JB.
          William

Anonymous

Thanks for the feed back William!

Timing/rhythm is one of my difficult areas in sight reading, sometimes its not just the timing, in my case it can be poor inexperienced technical fingering struggling to keep up with the sight reading. In your playing, to me i was more immersed in listening to the performance to notice any obvious timing issues – an area i need improvement.

Thanks for the recording tips – i can’t improve in that area with my current setup, but interesting to hear positioning/recording tips.

Interesting point as i noticed in JF’s latest uploads he’s not playing back to the wall, and imho this does sound different in the latest recordings – i’m not saying one sounds better, just slightly different.

john
            Keymaster

I think your timing was pretty good William. I know you haven’t been playing that long and so you are at the point where those long tones are going to help strengthen your tone. also practice blowing louder for extended periods of time if you can, both these things will improve your tone, more specifically, lose that small quiver that comes in and out. don’t know if you notice it but it’s there and it’s a common thing and the more you practice as suggested it will start to go away.

William Cingolani
              Participant

Thanks Johnny. I’ll keep those things in mind.

jake
                Participant

Beautiful sounding sax you got there. Man I just love the tone and buzz your getting. As far as the recording goes what if any effects are added? Just a little reverb?? Keep them vids coming

William Cingolani
                  Participant

Thanks Jake. Today I blew my horn in the bathroom. Good sound in the bathroom but no room for recording machines. So I blew against a wall. Blowing against a wall seems to help out with the sound. Bathroom is better but maybe the wall will have to suffice. I worked on the low B flat.

Kevin
                    Participant

William, I am with Jake on his comment- loving the tone and buzz you are getting. To my ears the intonation on most notes hits pretty square at the start then drifts a little sharp as you hold and end it. Timing did drift with the backing track as you commented, and your syncing the video to the audio was off, but hey this was your first go at it (recording and uploading) and it is a lot to get right for those of us who aren’t as savvy with this technology. Looking forward to hearing more!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.