Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Saxophone Lessons New Lesson Added Today March 19

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    john
    Keymaster

Take your solos up a notch from the single pentatonic major scale that you've had a chance to look at from last week.

Part 2 will expand your soloing capabilities because it shows how to use 3 different pentatonic scales over the same 12 bar blues progression.

You'll find it under the Improvisation section.

john
      Keymaster

Take your solos up a notch from the single pentatonic major scale that you've had a chance to look at from last week.

Part 2 will expand your soloing capabilities because it shows how to use 3 different pentatonic scales over the same 12 bar blues progression.

You'll find it under the Improvisation section.

Dolph
        Participant

Johnny, I copied the band tracks to CD and played along, which went OK-ish, but what lacks is the same track with your sax (as in the movie clip). I find that I want to hear your riffs as well, so I can try to copy them. Would it be possible that you post the original tracks along the band tracks?
          (I can't get my computer to my "sax closet", but I do have a CD player hooked up to a guitar amplifier there).

john
          Keymaster

OK Dolph, I added my track in the Blues In C lesson and also in the Pentatonic #2 lesson. Hope that helps you.

Dolph
            Participant

Excellent !!! Much appreciated. For me it is trying these little riffs in one chord and then perhaps trying to do the same in another one that will add to my ability with the sax.
              Looking forward to more cool stuff.

john
              Keymaster

Yes, exactly. In blues you can usually play a riff over all three chords. So a good thing to do is have a bunch of favorite riffs you can bank on and learn them in all the relevant keys so you can always be able to pull them out.

The next step is to play a riff in the first chord and then play it again over the second chord but transposing it to fit that chord and again in the 3rd chord.

Eg: we're playing a blues in C:

Let's say your riff is CCDEC. Now when the 4 chord comes along play that same riff but start on the F, (because the F is the 4 chord) so now the same riff in F looks like this: FFGAF. And in the 5th chord like this: GGABG

That's a pretty boring riff but I hope you get the point of the theory behind it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.