Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions new sax

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    jake
    Participant

I am currently looking for a intermediate to professional tenor sax. Man there are tons of them out there. Any recommendations on a good brand that I will be able to play long term? Also, models. I kinda like the looks of the P. Mauriats.
      Ever hear of Phil Barone branded saxes?

jake
      Participant

I also ran across Kessler Custom tenors. Anyone hear of them? I have read some pretty good reviews on them. Unfortunately I don’t have the ability to try them out first.

jake
        Participant

http://www.kesslermusic.com/kesslercustom/sax/tenor/standard.htm
          kessler custom $999

http://www.philbarone.com/store/saxophones/tenor/antique-bronze-classic-tenor-saxophone-antique-bronze-classic
          phil barone tenor $1700

Does the finish make a difference in your sound. Gold versus dark laquer or matte finishes?

john
          Keymaster

wow – lucky man!

If like me, your ultimate goal is to own a Selmer – considered to be the best!
            In my case i’d rather save for it now.
            Its cheaper in the long run to buy 1 sax
            than putting off the inevitable.

Also like a lot of my aquantances, when they buy
            musical instruments, its like buying cars!
            They all look at the resale values.

Top dollar – whatever you invest in, try it out.
            I remember buying a piano for my daughter.
            Walked in the show room with 30 pianos.
            Tried them all, and they all sounded different.
            Boy was i glad to get out if there!
            Now i understand why ladies spend ages buying dresses.

I also saw an interesting Sax played by Candy Dulfer on Youtube,
            free wind alto i think, which she claims was as good as her selmar!

Anonymous

Check out Sax Dakota. I have a new Alto . I love it

john
              Keymaster

Jake, the laquer won’t matter for your sound.
                My repair guys rave about the P. Mauriats.
                I don’t get out much to try different horns since I have 2 Selmers but I have tried the Trevor James and the pro models are worth considering above the ones you have mentioned so far. Don’t let your head spin too much because these are all very good horns and in the long run will serve you well. Try to actually play 2 or 3 of these with your favorite mp and best reed and you’ll know what to do.

Dazza
                Participant

Hi Johnny,

I have an Alto Yamaha AS100 – student sax and wondering if I change from the Yami 4C mouthpiece will my sound necessarily improve greatly. To me the sound is thin and tinny and wondering about a metal MP and larger reed perhaps. Will a new combo improve the sound quality of a low end sax?? I’ve been playing solidly for 9 months practicing an hour a night and my teacher is real happy with my tone, breath control, vibrato etc so I guess I am just reading too much and searching for the unknown. My ultimate goal is a tenor so I am hoping to improve the alto enough to hang on to it for the medium term. Do you know much about the Jupiter 900 series saxes. I have a line on a tenor 969 silver and gold that looks great and recordings I’ve heard of this one sound inviting. The yamaha 62 is just out of my reach price wise. Welcome yours and others comments.

john
                  Keymaster

After 9 months of solid playing I would recommend stepping up from the 4C.
                    An update on the mp and possibly reed size may very well improve your tone much more than a new sax.
                    As long as the horn is in good shape that is.
                    I know Jupiter has been around a long time but never owned one so can’t really say but they are probably a better bet than most other saxes in that price range.
                    You will get a bigger tone by getting a mp with a wider opening but remember a lot if it also depends on you…lots of proper air support from your diaphragm, open throat, good embouchure.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.