Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Saxophone Lessons Non-matching fingering

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Nika Raytsin
    Participant

I put the fingering for D, and I get E. I put it for E, I get C. Help! What am I doing wrong?

john
      Keymaster

wow sounds weird. what fingering chart are you looking at? which saxophone are you playing?

Nika Raytsin
        Participant

I’m playing the Alto Sax, and I have a book on the alto sax

john
          Keymaster

Nika, it’s impossible for anyone too help you figure it out because we don’t know what you are doing.
            if you have a normal saxophone which is working then you are not placing your fingers on the keys properly so…
            you have 2 choices;
            take your sax to a repair shop and make sure it is working properly or,
            make a video of yourself playing those notes so I can check it and help you.

Keith Davidson
            Participant

Any chance your hands are upside down – left at bottom and right on top – just a shot in the dark but what you are explaining sounds impossible without, as Johnny said, an improperly working saxophone or a really weird problem – please keep us posted we’re all super curious on this one.

Keith Davidson
              Participant

Here’s a just in case scenario – are you sure you typed the letters in your post correctly?

Ridge
                Participant

Nika, maybe I this will help. Do you understand that the alto saxophone is a , transposing instrument? If play a ,D, fingering on an alto sax it should sound like a ,F, on the concert piano witch is a ,concert C instrument. The notes on the alto sax are all 3 and half step down from the notes on the piano, Such as piano plays G, alto sax plays the E fingering, another example, piano plays A, alto sax plays the E fingering. If you are a beginner to the sax I suggest you start with Johnny’s beginners courses…. wish you the best.

Ridge
                  Participant

I made a mistake, piano plays the A, alto sax Plays the fingering for F#. not as stated above. Also the above should read, 3 HALF STEPS, not 3 and a half steps.

saxomonica
                    Participant

Hi; check out fingering lesson here on site by @Johnny and have a good look at fingering charts, stick with it:-)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.