Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Repertoire Otis Reding music on the Saxophone?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

😎 Hey Johnny,
      I was browsing around online to see if anyone has done any of Otis Reding’s music on Tenor Sax and I can’t find anything. The 2 songs of Otis Reding I’m thinking about are “These Arms of Mine” and “Love Man”. Have you seen anyone play his music/these 2 songs in particular on the Tenor Sax? Do you know who was the Saxophone player he had on his band? Sheet music for these 2 songs appears to be widely available.
      I will be uploading “Fly Me to the Moon” in the next day or so, 2 weeks of classwork left before I finish my degree and it’s off to the Urology center–I’m being tested over everything I’ve learned and it’s brutal to say the least. Looking forward to getting my new “toy” in the way of the alto sax from Massullo Music now in March 🙂

john
      Keymaster

No I haven’t! Great stuff though. The famous horn section known as The Memphis Horns played with Otis Redding, amoung many other too. I actually did some recording sessions in Mempis with the Memphis Horns who are Wayne Jackson on trumpet and Andrew Love on tenor (I played bari on the session which was for the Colin James record Sudden Stop).
        Those guys have played with so many big acts like Otis Redding, Joe Cocker, U2, Robert Cray etc.

Michael Bishop
        Participant

Memphis; we’re talking Memphis in Tennessee? That’s only about 2 and 1/2 hours from me 🙂 What an awesome experience that must have been for you to record with those guys! It would be awesome to see you make something available to buy from your music selection along these lines for sure. Both of the above songs I mentioned have Tenor Sax & Guardala MP written all over them (that’s what I hear when I listen to these songs anyway). The Watermelon Man you played has become my very favorite song on your Selection, but I love them all 🙂 I’m getting my Guardala MP through your links here when I get my Trevor James Alto from Massullo now in March–I will be pairing it up with a Meyer MP. Sandro says the Trevor James/Meyer MP will be a outstanding combination.

john
          Keymaster

ya, Memphis Tn. Don;’t forget that Guardala mp’s are only made for the tenor!
            But anyway, ya, Meyer is great for alto, that’s what I have as well.

Michael Bishop
            Participant

Yep, the Guardala is for my Tenor–my goal is to be able to play with it before the end of this year and now I’ll have it and can start, gradually, practicing with it. That old saying of not having the $ when we need something or not needing something when we do have the $ is so true; this way I’ll have the Guardala without having to worry about not being able to get it when I do need it/am ready for it. I bought almost all over your songs from your music selection and while I’m not ready to play something like the theme song of the Peter Gunn TV show, I am playing “Fly me to the Moon” and almost have ready “Mack the Knife”, but at least I do have all of these other songs on my Flash Drive for when I am ready for them, it’s a work in progress 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.