Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Daily Practice Routine #1 Premium Sax Lessons

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Bushman
    Participant

Johnny,

Paid for Premium Sax Lessons. Can’t find where to retrieve them from. Help, man.
      Vegi.

john
      Keymaster

Hey Vegi, make it easier for me, I don’t know what you paid for exactly so let me have the paypal email, date and name of course cause I can’t find it so far. When I know what you’re missing I can send you the link.

cheers
        Johnny

Bushman
        Participant

Johnny,
          MSep 10, 2014 16:19:14 PDT
          Receipt No:2899-9270-0645-4411

This is the purchase:
          Overview of this Complete Practice Routine:
          Tone

exercise #1 – mouthpiece only

major scale
          major chord arpeggio
          melody
          exercise #2 – long tones

using the chromatic scale for long tones
          full Range of the horn
          Technique

exercise #3 – developing speed

using the chromatic scale to increase speed and dexterity
          using a metronome to ensure success
          exercise #4 – major scales and chords

learn and memorize all major scales and chords
          speed is not important at first
          To gain immediate access to the exercises and videos click the Paypal button below:

Email: vegimate1@gmail.com

Thank you,
          Daryl

john
          Keymaster

Ok got it, will email you the link now.

Bushman
            Participant

Thanks, mate.
              Vegi

Dazza
              Participant

Hi guys. Bit of a reality check recently. Thought I was going well on my sax journey until i recently committed to Johnny’s daily practice routine. WOW, I am of the opinion that if something is difficult then it is seriously worth mastering to progress even if you doubt the reasons for it. The long tones exercise is breath taking! Literally. I can only go two notes over four beats each 65 (bpm)before needing a breath to keep all notes consistant. From top to bottom it is a workout particularly over the 12 scales. I have recorded myself doing this exercise for later reference. I am sure to see big improvements.How is everyone else going with it. Nobody cheating?

Anonymous

hi Dazza – if you look in the daily practice routine blog, i’ve been commenting on how it has helped me.
                  I’ve been doing it 7 weeks now, and has vast improvements.
                  The long tones are excellent for control of note sounds.
                  The chromatic scales are vital if you want to learn to improvise.
                  Piano players have it easy, as the notes are in the same place all the time,
                  for Sax players its harder as you have to visualise all the key positions for all 2 1/2 octaves.
                  For improvising, to start off with, if you play any note on the sax, you have to know where the next semitone note is higher/ lower without thinking about it (easy on the piano).
                  Once you’ve mastered that, then you start doing intervals ! Pick any note and move up in intervals of 2,3,4,5,6,7 octave.
                  Start with Eb and move up in tone intervals etc..
                  For me i can just about move up and down in semitone intervals anywhere on the sax without thinking about it.
                  my next goal is to be able to do it in intervals of a tone from any key position.
                  Perhaps Johnny’s next practice routine could include moving up and down in various interval sizes.
                  Once you can move up and down in semitone/tone intervals, then you can move up and down in any major scale, starting at any key position wthout even thinking about what memorising each scale, as all the major scales move up and down in the same pattern of semitones/tones

Dazza
                  Participant

So it sounds like its all about memorising patterns not note names? I was listening to Gerald Albright in the car today and am bewildered at how one could ever get to where he is in playing ability. How in hell do you move that quickly around the sax and pop those altissimo notes so precisely??!! It’s feels a bridge way to far for me right now. I have commenced using a program called Transcribe that allows you to loop sections of solos and slow them right down so that you can transpose a solo section by section and this has allowed me to work out by ear the notes by trying to recognise intervals. I did this on “Down On the Boardwalk” – Beaver Brown Band. Very cool song and a relatively easy sax intro and solo. Love all their music BTW. Check em out. Real 80’s treasures. This is pretty cool when you achieve it and I have been told a useful skill that all the early pioneers developed through necesstiy as there wasn’t much in the way of Real Cheat Books back in the day. I have been advised to narrow the scope of things I am working on and spend more of my practice time focussing on specific skills so that you can really walk out of a reactice session able to say, YES, I have increased my skills and learnt something new. I still play tunes but less of them as I wa spending a lot of time trying to perfect a song when I should have been honing the skills that would in turn allow me to play the song perfectly. Johnnys lessons are the main focus of my routine now along with some interval ear training and some transposing followed up with some play time. After all, you gotta be able to play some songs when the family comes around cause thats what it’s all about – entertaining myself and others.

john
                    Keymaster

It all goes hand in hand; we want to play songs because yes, of course that’s what it’s all about. your family and friends don’t want to hear you play a bunch of exercises. But to play those songs nicely we need to spend time with the exercises.
                      Those things in the practice routine are necessary for anyone who wants to sound good and get around on the sax. Speaking of bridges that may seem too far, this is the secret right here, you’ve just discovered it; long tones, chromatics, all scales etc. I went thru this, so did Kenny G and Gerald Albright and everyone else who has acheived some good control over their horn.
                      Most people want to skip ahead, look for magic lesson videos on Youtube etc. There’s lots of time-wasting going on, that’s exactly why I put that daily routine together. It’s a guaranteed way to start getting there. But it only works if you work it. Enough ranting!
                      Couple months ago when the daily routine came out I suggested for those that got on it to record themselves right away, then a month or 2 or 3 do it again to actually hear your progress. I hope someone has done that, if you’re starting out on it you should do it. It’s the prove of improvement to yourself that is the great motivator to keep going and get better and better instead of fooling yourself or wasting time.
                      Dazza you should play your tunes daily as well. Like I suggested; in a one hour practise session we spend some time on each of the daily exercises with an equal amount of time on actual music too. You’ll start to find that the songs will start sounding better each day because of the exercises.

Anonymous

Hi Johnny – is there any method in moving round the sax in jumps of a tone?
                        The problem areas are when you go up from b/e and come down from f/c.
                        If you start up from B then its C#,Eb,F,G,A and back to B.
                        If you start up from E then its F#,G#,Bb,C,D and back to E.
                        The pattern for Tone jumps is C/D/E/F#/G#/Bb which repeats itself.
                        or C#/Eb/F/G/A/B which repeats itself.
                        If you pick any finger position on the Sax, you automatically know what note it is (say G#).
                        To jump up a tone then you have to think what comes next, which is A#,Bb and then play it , this causes a delay
                        while you are thinking.
                        The only other alternative is i automatically know what the next semitone position is without thinking in terms of notes,
                        so i could just move up 2 semitones – the problem with this i now have to move around thinking in terms of 2 semitone
                        jumps.
                        the 3rd method is you learn the tone jumps like a parrot, until you doing it without thinking!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.