Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions Question about Improvising with Blues on Major and Minor Scales

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

😎 Hey Johnny,

In working on your exercises in Killer Blues and really breaking them down, I was noticing how with the Blues Scales we basically have a minor pentatonic scale with the addition of a flat 5. But if I’m going to be Improvising with Blues in a Major Scale, like C Major in the backing track below, wouldn’t I basically use a Major Pentatonic scale with the added flat 3 instead? I’ll be using this track for an upcoming Tenor Sax project, great stuff! I want to make sure I know this stuff inside-and-out because this is the direction I’m heading with my Sax playing as I progress.

Lee Dove
      Participant

You probably need to use both . Minor on the I and V and Major on the IV chords I think is the way it goes.

john
        Keymaster

yes you guys are both right. The b3rd works because it’s also the 7th of the 4 chord. As I said in the Killer Blues book, we can get away with using the one pentatonic thru the whole 12 bars and beginners can do that until comfortable. As you start getting better at it think more about the chord you are playing over and lean more on the notes of that chord.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.