Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Repertoire Question about Samba Pa Ti and Spanish/Latin Song releases for the Saxophone?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

Hey Johnny,

I’ve been working on Samba Pa Ti on Alto Sax and was wondering if at any point in time, if it’s worth your time financially, you would consider releasing a set of Spanish/Latin songs for the Saxophone (like you did for the 4-song set of the Beatles, 50s rock and Love Songs)?
      This has been a such a super, super-fun song to learn and can imagine you really got people to smile while playing this one for them 🙂 I speak Spanish fluently and was raised around Los Latinos; a few of these notes I had to, as my wife told me, play them as I would speak the language. On the Alto, measures 27, 29, 37 and 44 we’re kind of tricky for me; those C# and B notes and the way you tongue them and play them…not quite as easy as it looks and slightly different to do on the Saxophone v.s the advice my wife gave me LOL It almost felt like there was a tiny bit of trilling/turn-a-rounds you we’re playing, especially near the end?

Anonymous

Y asĂ­ pasan los dĂ­as
        Y yo, desesperando
        Y tĂş, tĂş contestando
        Quizás, quizás, quizás

To this day i can still remember my Spanish teacher singing this song 42 years ago in the class room!
        Lovely song!!

Michael Bishop
        Participant

Hey Sxpoet—I’m familiar with that song too; I believe it was done by these guys “Los Panchos” Good memory to be able to recall that from 42 years ago!
          http://youtu.be/zdJ0KLJ3PmQ

Spanish is one of the most expressive languages in the world and the same holds true for the music and a lot of it is very well suited for the Saxophone, and that’s a real plus for us 🙂

Anonymous

She (teacher) was spanish & was very passionate about all things Spanish, she made us sing that songs so many times some of the words are still stuck in my head today. Another one was la cucaracha!

Its funny how words of songs stick in your head, when i was 13 i was on ferry for 4 hours going up the Esiquibo River, and this local got his duke box out and played the same 8 records for the whole journey.
            The followings words of songs got stuck in my head cause of that:
            Hey ya fatty bum bum, sweet sugar dumplin
            Take warning, ya bettah tek warning
            Shaving cream, shave everyday an yull always be clean
            Get Up Stand Up! Stand up for your right!
            Dont rock the boat …

john
            Keymaster

Don’t think a 4 song series is possible any time soon but I do have another beautiful Santana tune “Europa” that’s partially done already so I could possibly get back to work on that one pretty soon.

Michael Bishop
              Participant

That song “Europa” would be great for the Saxophone! Is this the version you we’re thinking of doing/something similar to it?

john
                Keymaster

That’s it, there’s also a great sax version on youtube by Vale, just do a search

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.