Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions Recording

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Abe Sloan
    Participant

I would like to record myself to evaluate my practice and later to submit examples to this forum. I have the computer and speakers. What additional equipment do I need to get to do that?

Z
      Participant

You could just use windows movie maker or iMovie and record yourself playing that. Play music through the speakers then switch to movie maker to record yourself playing it. This is free but it’s very bad quality. If you want semi-professional quality recordings you’ll have to buy a microphone, audio interface, and a DAW which is a digital audio workstation, and get all this hooked up and put on to your computer. This is a lot more costly but will get you professional sounding quality recordings.

Anonymous

Johnny – like to hear your comments (wifi can be so annoying), i’m about to start buying recording equipment in a couple of weeks time.

i just want a modest low cost setup, like i said in the past if i wanted a more proffesional recording, i would use a recording studio (which isn’t in my league of playing)

Dazza
          Participant

I am frustrated also with this part of my playing. Trying to get even audio to sound half decent is painful. I have a Shure SM57 and a Behringer USB interface but its the DAW that I am confused on. Which one do you choose. I believe you have to spend some cash to get any sort of quality and features as the free ones are free for a reason. How much effect does the sound card have on the whole situation. Would a reasonable laptop be up to the level needed. Then the big challenge for me is how to video my playing and combine that with the audio AARRGGHH!

Anonymous

My MP3 recordings, Liberty Bell and Pent-Up Blues were recorded with the following equipment.

I used a Samsung USB Meteor Studio microphone connected to a Lenovo Ideapad A10 running an Android OS. I used ‘USB Audio Recorder Pro’ to record the sound in Wave format, and Audacity 2.1.1 (free software) to convert the Wave file to the more compact MP3 format. This setup wasn’t too expensive and the sound is good enough for personal evaluation and record of progress.

If you own an iPad you could do this too.

Using an Ipad and USB microphone article

Dazza
              Participant

Guys I snapped up a Shure x2u USB interface adaptor on Gumtree today for $50 to go with my Shure SM 57 and I grabbed a USB connector for $7 to plug into my iPad air. Seems I have all I need to make a decent recording now. Will try it out and see what is produced.

Anonymous

dazza – hope it works out!
                  After costing up a laptop, price of software, almost tempted to just buy an 8 track recorder that writes to cd for a 1/4 of the price! At least that way the laptop wont get out of date with the software etc..

Do a camcorder recording, and dub the audio track over it?

john
                  Keymaster

Dazza a sm57’are really good for sax they have a nice crispness to them and I used to use one on stage quite a lot

For decent recordings you don’t need to spend a lot of money
                    I use pro tools software thru a Mbox mini all of which cost about $350
                    The mbox mini is obsolete now but similar interfaces out there Like m-audio bundle which comes with interface,recording software and a microphone for around $300

john
                    Keymaster

JB a multitrack all-in-one recorder is a great way to go
                      I was looking at this one
                      http://yourhomerecordingstudio.com/zoom-r16-review

Anonymous

Thanks JF! that looks the biz! especially as you can use it as an audio interface as well!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.