Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions Reed strength: 2 1/2 vs 3 better?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jazz Cat
    Participant

Hi – any thoughts on best overall reed strength to use? I’m using a otto link 6 metal tenor mp, with vandoren java red reeds: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027LSWWS

Seems like a tradeoff:

I like 3s for hitting high notes better, compared to 2 1/2s (probably my out of shape embouchure), and they’re brighter. But for me I get a lot more squeaks and squawks w/3s. I tried a new 3 vs my usual 2 1/2 and my dog barked a lot more than usual today, lol…

my overall take is 3s are more challenging to play, but better if you can handle them, though I could be all wrong on this…any thoughts on 2 1/2 v. 3?

john
      Keymaster

It’s all a very personal thing at this point. at the very beginning stages we need to play a 1 or 1.5 because these are the very lightest strengths and our embouchure is just not developed yet so anything harder would just be too difficult.
        you have just answered your own question… ultimately you will be playing a 3 because it will give you a better overall tone and better control but you’re just still not quite there yet because it’s still a bit hard for you. when you fall back down to the 2.5 you have more control maybe but they lack in some things. you’re at the in between stage.
        May I suggest you crack an entire box of 3’s and go thru them quickly by playing them for 30-60 seconds each. choose the 1 or 2 from the entire box that feel the lightest and play those. you might be playing on a hard 3 right now without even knowing it so this is important. work those light 3’s for a couple weeks, you might even shave or lightly sand one down to make it even lighter. this will gradually get you up to the 3 more fully without taxing your embouchure so much.
        if you do this for a while, one day you’ll go back to the 2.5 and it will feel too light. that’s how I did it many years ago and I’m still playing 3’s.
        yes I’ve tried 3.5 but just too hard and I don’t need the jump, 3 is just perfect for me….probably the most popular size overall. some pro’s also play a 2.5, 3.5 and even 4 but i think 3 are the most common.

Jazz Cat
        Participant

hi – thanks for the excellent ideas, and thoughtful answer; much appreciated. That’s a smart idea to test a box of reeds, in case one is hard. Good tip too re sanding, could lighten it up a bit. Great post, should be helpful for everyone.

thanks,

k

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.