Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Music Theory Searching for trix on alternate fingers being for chording along

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    saxomonica
    Participant
      Anonymous

i never paid any attention to alternative fingerings until this year, when i came across several songs, and i found it impossible to play some sax keys very fast in relation to other key combinations – so i was forced to start using them otherwise i couldn’t play the songs at all.

very fast combinations that need alternative keys
        G A repeated Bb’s back down to A down to G (start again)
        A B repeated C’s back down To B down to A (start again)
        C repeated D’s back down to C down to B back up to C (start again)

Another very useful alternative key is the alternative F#/Gb, for very fast smooth chromatic movements up and down – playing up D D# E F F# (need alternative fingering) G and back down from G to D. With out using the alternative F# you are screwed.

In scale practices, for fast playing, there are several unique keys that can be held down while playing other keys in the scale for smooth movements, this applies to some Flat scales and some sharp scales. What you will discover, that playing some of these scales very fast, you dont have time to release certain keys, so you end up holding them down while playing other keys.

saxomonica
        Participant

Thanks heaps @sxpoet, very insightful! Would you happen to know of any false fingerings to play when noodling / jamming along being particuraly with rock ‘n roll chord passages? Eg some chord shapes you might play with the chorus pedal, say, to pad thangs out? To give the air more scope. And timbre. That is, separate from trills, glissandos, scoops, fall offs, flutters and growls. Hmm. One might be G with left hand alternating E on right. That’s the sixth right? It would work with other tones in the same way? Any minor 7th chords variations? Anythin’ considered .. looking for more presence.
          Cheers

saxomonica
          Participant

Methinks these could be arcane matters learnt diligently and skillfully with time, but i am living life in the fast lane ..

Anonymous

I’ll leave that to the forums maestro to answer. I just pick things up as i go along with a little help from my sax teacher when i get stuck on various music sheets, on a need to know basis.

jake
              Participant

I love that answer sxpoet. A need to know basis. Very true. As an older learner I don’t wanna know all the false fingerings and alternatives until ya need to know them. Like you stated with the fast passages. There’s so much behind the scenes going on. I’ll admit I don’t practice much but focus way more of my time into playing music and having fun with the sax!!!!!!!
                Keep blowing!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.