Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Saxophone Lessons So Youve Got a Saxophone – Now What?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    john
    Keymaster

Hey Guys, the quick start sax guide ” So You’ve Got a Saxophone – Now What?” has been out since late October and I want to make sure everyone knows exactly what it is since the full beginners sax course, it’s Big Daddy, “How To Play The Saxophone – a Complete Beginners Guide” is due out soon in early January…

What It Is

While I was writing this full beginners course I had the idea of putting the first few sections out as a quick start guide to get it out right now! because I knew their was a demand for this total beginners stuff from the questions here in the forum and emails. So the quick start guide deals with taking your sax out of the case to covering reeds, mouthpieces, proper breathing, tonguing, some fingering and finally playing a complete C major scale.

Yes, it’s very focused and will help any beginner BUT If you’re new here and are thinking this beginners stuff is for you I recommend waiting just a little longer and by-passing this book So You’ve Got a Saxophone – Now What? and getting the new one coming in January because it will have all of this and waaaaay more!

rock on
      Johnny

Glen Kans
      Participant

Hello Johnny,
        With the new book coming out this month, will it include all the scales? As you know currently on your webpages you have the C and D major scale with the fingering video and narrative. My main question is will you have this for all of the scales? I found it so useful and helpful having these two scales explained showing what the sharps are and the fingering of such showing on the horn itself. It was like man in a half hour I had two scales learned! Awesome stuff, and many thanks,

john
        Keymaster

Yes, I have a few more scales done on video plus I did one which covers all the notes too. Plus an alternate fingering one which shows the 4 different ways to play Bb. So, these along with the included fingering charts there’s no reason one wouldn’t have all the notes figured out! But, if for some reason you can’t then I’ll add it on because one of the promises of this book is that everyone will learn and be able to play all the notes and major scales.

joe mack
          Participant

hey johnny…………I don’t understand why you don’t do an instructional video of how to play HONKEY TONK….like the video you did on night train………you’d make a fortune and help ALOT of people. reason one is you are the honkey tonk king. you can tell by listening to you that that song is one of your basic influences………reason two and more important is that HONKEY TONK is the basis for all the blues. if you can play that then you’re on your way. thanks………my name is joe mack and I’ve just started playing sax after many years as a guitar player and I enjoy your videos. thanks

john
            Keymaster

Hey Joe, that’s a good idea and will think about doing such a video. In the bigger picture of things, I’ve covered this and more in the eBook course “How To Play Killler Blues and Rockin Sax solos With 7 Notes or Less” which includes instruction on another rock/blues sax solo that is very familiar to everyone. I understand though that many people need more specific instruction on certain pieces as you have mentioned.
              thanks
              Johnny

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.