Skip to main content
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

i was cleaning a sticky pad while holding the sax horizontally, and the sax slipped of the plastic hook (which has a release mechanism, to stop it coming of the hook), anyway somehow or other the hook opened and my sax fell on my foot!

picked it up and low Bb, B and C won’t work , all the other keys up to high f work ok. It looks like i bent the c key and the pad slowly comes up, the B and Bb keys now shreik!

So i shall have to hop off to the repair shop!
      looks like an opportunity to try out other sax’s.
      😥

Anonymous

took my sax to the repair shop.
        Found out the rail connected to the C key was slightly bent, C

Anonymous

key arm slightly bent. So the C pad wasn’t closing properly. They noticed the high D key had put a little circular dent in the neck, so i’m leaving that as its only the Low C, B and Bb that are affected – so i got off quite lightly, my foot took most of the impact, and the repair guy said thd neck seemed ok, as that was on when i dropped it!

So no sax for a week, just have to do aural exercises instead and practice on the mouth piece😟

Anonymous

yeah – i get to pick my sax up tomorrow from the repair shop!

Can’t wait to try it out. They have given it a once over.

I’ve got my 1st punched circular dent in it from the high D key trying to put a hole in the neck, so i shall be interested to see if it affects the sound, as the air in the neck will be flowing over a bump!

The repair guy was telling me common problems with my sax, being a non pro model, he was saying it is common for all 3 registers not to be in perfect tune ie the you get the middle register in tune, and the upper register goes slightly off etc..

i also pointed out when i played long tones on the low B key it often went into a sort of vibrato mode – he said that was another problem in my sax’s something to do with how the low C key is setup – i didn’t quite understand the gist of it. You think when you buy a new sax they are perfect! in fact they are like cars! certain makes are known to have common problems by these repair guys! It’s like my dad once had a car – went you went up hill, the wipers moved slowly, then when you went down hill the wipers would be racing! i remember it i think it was a daphne

Anonymous

got my sax back – it did sound different, couldn’t decide if it sounded different because of the damage/repairs done to it, or if it was because i hadn’t played it for 3 days, or if it was problems with the reed (as that was on the sax when i dropped it),

after playing it for 3 hours, i came to the conclusion it sounded better than before, probably down to the repair guy checking all over it!

not convinced about the low c key, as i can’t seem to get some of the overtones i got before i dropped it, just wont come out.

but the repair was on the nail about these non-pro saxes, the different registers aren’t exsctly in tune like a pro model. with my sax everthing above middle C# (3rd register) tends to be more sharp on the tuner than everyhing below middle D – no matter how well i tune it up

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.