Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Your Video The Pink Panther Tenor Saxophone Instrumental

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    William Cingolani
    Participant

Great job on the sax and appropriate outfit. Inspector Clouseau would be proud.
      William

Michael Bishop
      Participant

Thanks for the encouragement William (William is also one of my middle names, my full middle name is William Neal LOL) If you read the comments/insights Johnny gave me, there’s was some embellishments that I attempted to use that didn’t belong here in this song, but that’s the benefit of the blog–we use it as a learning tool and to correct our mistakes That video was done with a new Claude Lakey MP that I was using on Tenor for the first time..as you know it takes a little while to get used to a different kind of MP because it feels so different to us, but I’m feeling pretty comfortable with it now. If I get the chance over the next few days I’ll do a new upload with it using one of Johnny’s tracks. We’re in the middle of a move right now…yesterday I met very briefly with our member Tim on Skype just to have some fun and showed him on the webcam all of the boxes surrounding us LOL I’m just looking forward to have some more space…I started my own little Saxophone “wall of fame” for my room and Johnny was gracious enough to send me an Autographed pic of himself to hang up 🙂 Last couple of days have been crazy…family van breaking down and had to work on it for 2 days, so I had to put off some practice sessions 🙁

Jazz Cat
        Participant

i need to learn how to growl… johnny how ’bout creating/selling a course on growls/flutter tonguing? You are *great* at it…i’ve tried for decades and still can’t growl..grr lol …all the brief yt vids saying ‘hum grr while you play’ ain’t doing it 4 me. An indepth one like your altissimo, for ‘how to growl bigger, badder than ever on your sax…even if you’ve tried for years and still can’t do it (like me and I’m sure many other horn players). some activities/exercises…it’s the one place I really need help with…

i filmed it in my greenscreen studio w/shades… yts23 w/otto link

Michael Bishop
          Participant

That was outstanding! Very smooth and very cool! How long you been playing? What’s your MP/reed set up? I’ve only been playing for 2 years, so I still have much to learn; which is very obvious to see in my videos…it’s a work in progress. Hats off to you, certainly hope to see more of your videos here on Johnny’s blog 🙂

Jazz Cat
            Participant

thanks Michael… I’m old (51), been playing since lead alto in HS jazz band decades ago..took 20 years off from playing, just started tenor a couple years ago, playing otto link w/vandoren red 3 ..thanks!

john
              Keymaster

hey Ken, nice stuff there. I don’t know if you’re aware of speeding up or not! What I do is focus on the beat…in this case listen closely to the hi hat. if you play with it you’ll be right on.
                as for the growling thing, I did a lesson video on it:

as for the flutter tongue, there is a video lesson included in the Killer Blues eBook course.
                I can understand your frustration but I don’t think these 2 subjects warrant a full course. but anyway check out the lessons and see if they help you.

Johnny

Anonymous

really good Ken, the only fault i can find is between .47 & .50 slightly off key but over brilliant play man! if i could play like that i would be happy! im a fan!,😎

Anonymous

flutter tongue – simple tip, if you cant do flutter tongue, try pulling the bell back behind you (RHS position) so the mouthpiece is more vertical than horizontal in the mouth – then flutter away with the tongue tip tapping the reed.

by moving the mouthpiece vertically or angled up you give your tongue more room to flutter away – enjoy – hope this helps.

as for growling after watching JF’s video i could growl straight away (even though i had only been playing a month)

Jazz Cat
                    Participant

thanks johnny, good point about speeding up; I’m off tempo a lot lately, out of practice…good tip re hi-hat followalong, I’ll do that.

will do re trying again from the tips about growling, thx johnny and james…good tip about mp position, I’ll try that too. really like your blues course, I’ll check out the video for flutter tongue, much appreciated. it’s such an important part of playing sax w/heart…liked your comparison w/tequila…without growling it doesn’t sound right; with it, it’s got feeling, impact; thx for showing how to ‘get the growl’ done right.

jake
                      Participant

Really cool video Ken. I am curious on how you created it. Very entertaining to say the least.

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 30 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.