Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Recording Your Saxophone Use of a Mic screen to eliminate Pops? Great studio you got Johnny!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

😎 Hey Johnny,
      I’ve been pouring over as much info. in your home recording website as time will allow, and I was checking out the info. on this link below that was e-mailed to me regarding Microphone Pick-Up Patterns. The article talks about the use of a mic screen to eliminate pops; is this something that you use in your own home recording? The info. talks mostly about vocal performances. I’ve seen these Mic screens and they can be somewhat on the expensive side, so this is a super-cool tip on just making our own 🙂 Does the mic in your studio use an Omni-pattern or a Figure-8 pattern?
      I really dig your new holiday videos; couldn’t help but notice all of your awards too! I think I remember reading something on your site of johnnyferreria.com that you won awards for things like Horn Player of the Year in Canada?
      http://yourhomerecordingstudio.com/microphone-patterns

john
      Keymaster

yes there were some awards like that over the years and some gold and platinum records from my time with Colin James, a famous singer/guitarist from Canada.
        As for the recording, those mic screens are for eliminating vocal pops so we don’t need to worry about that for sax. Saxontheweb is the largest saxophone site online and they asked me to write an article about my recording techniques. There’s a lot you can get into but you can keep it very simple as well and get good results as I do at home. you can read it here:
        http://www.saxontheweb.net/Rock_n_Roll/RockSax13.html

Michael Bishop
        Participant

I didn’t think we needed a mic screen because I noticed in reading the link that was sent to me that it addresses Vocals, but I wanted to make sure about it. Thanks for the link, definitely will read it here shortly….I don’t blame them for asking you to write an article about recording LOL Do you write for them often? For my personal needs, I don’t need an expensive, complicated home recording set-up–modest and simplicity will do just fine to make quality recordings. I was reading how, if not careful, it can be a very time consuming thing and I would much rather keep my recording set-up simple/modest and use what valuable time there is for playing the Saxophone instead 🙂

john
          Keymaster

Yes, keep it as simple as possible, at least when starting out so you don’t get over whelmed or in over you head. you can easily come across problems that may take hours if not days to sort out when deasling with different software programs, computer OS’s etc.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.