Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Your Video wade in the water

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

my alto needs repairing, since december waiting for the repair shop to set a date to fix it.

in the meantime i’m practicing on my digital midi sax (emeo), recorded an alto sound on the left side and a flute sound on the right side.

saxomonica
      Participant

James, hey what i think this ia brilliant rendition of a great sonng and your many diligent hours on the sax practicing over the years is truly and assuredly paying dividends, even whereupon the emeo medium. Wow it will bve happy days when you get your repaired sax back mate! Tge reward of patience is more patience. Whatever would the Fonz say?

Your recordings inspire me and help me to go on in my own music journey. Thanking you kindly. Actually, Wade in the Water is a song i used to do on my blues harmonica so i gonna dig it up and give it a blow too jam along with you.
        All the while i trust that your own happy trails lead you to a peaceful and joyous place. Love your style.

Ya i found this thang on Youtube below about trumpets recently looking to improve my high register and altissimo g and i thought heya maybe it could help you too with the paridgm and scope of your electronic sax harmonics and hope it is on your wavelengh, jolly good show old sport ~

Anonymous

hey saxomonica, i closed my soundcloud account because some of my uploads get taken down while others don’t.

saxomonica
          Participant

Yo sxpoet i listened with wrapt attention and awe anywayz to your origonal post in the first instant and i am indeed sad on your account that Soundcloud seem to have a countance open thoughts closed outlook insofar to your airs. ‘Walk on by’. Or run through the jungle, say.

Keep playing in any event, old chap! Luv you like a brother. ♥

Heya wot you think of the trumpet vid and the 3 whistling spots enunciated therein?

Anonymous

good trumpet video – it’s very similar to how i play the altissimo notes on the sax. To get the 9 different overtones on a low Bb key, i say 9 different words while blowing, these 9 different words changes the air speed and vibrating air in my mouth.
              these are the words i use

1st – vaw
              2nd – voo
              3rd – ver
              4th – year or noo
              5th – foo
              6th – fii
              7th – fee
              8th – hii
              9th – hee

problem is i speak with an english accent, not an American accent so they may sound different to other folks.

But it boils down to my 1st sax lesson, where my teacher said listen to me place a middle C on the sax. Then he asked me to sing the middle C i heard. Then he asked me to remember the exact position of my lips, tongue and jaw when i sung the middle C. Then he asked me to hold that facial position and blow a middle C on the sax.

Then he wanted me to learn to do that with all the rest of the keys on the sax.This then helps you later on when you get round to playing overtones.

saxomonica
              Participant

That’s great, mate! Swingin’! I’m gonna give your syallibic overtones a swing on the tenor and report back, thanking you most kindly for the input. 🙂

Anonymous

at a very early stage in life, if you sing the note, and use the exact same lip, tongue and jaw position while blowing the same note on the sax – this trains your mind to play by ear, because if you sing a note in a tune you automatically remember where on the sax you played that note and the facial position you used.

Anonymous

1st – vaw
                    2nd – voo
                    3rd – ver
                    4th – year or noo
                    5th – foo
                    6th – fii
                    7th – fee
                    8th – hii
                    9th – hee

just remember when you finger a low Bb, and you blow the 1st overtone (a middle Bb sound), you need to sing the ‘vaw’ like a middle Bb sound when playing the sax.

likewise if you finger a Low B, and you blow the 1st overtone (a middle B sound), you need to sing the ‘vaw’ like a middle B sound when playing the sax.

This goes for all the overtone words that i use, you have to sing the words in the sound of the note you want to play (lips, tongue and jaw positions)

thats how it works for me playing 9 overtone on the 4 low sax keys Bb, B, C and C#

saxomonica
                    Participant

Hi James! Thanks ever so kindly for clearly enunciating the akto sax overtones. Following this i just got my alto sax serviced, turn around one day, being for $100, by Erin Royere of Just Sax Repairs.

I tried the tones you have outlined on the alto and got 4 overtones so far, i will diligently keep trying for the rest.
                      Thanks again! Cheers, Mark

FYI Her Website HERE ~

Repairs

YOUTUBE ~

Anonymous

excellent – now hears the thing, the remaining higher overtones you may not get them in ascending order, you might find ex you might get the 7th before the 5th or any random order.

i found for the higher overtones if you can, project your lower jaw forward and possibly raise it slightly this makes your your mouth chamber smaller and speeds up the air flow for higher frequencies, likewise a larger mouth chamber slows down the air speed (by dropping the lower jaw) and gives you lower sounds.

eventually you will be able to play all the overtones with the same embouchure that you use all the time, without biting down on the higher overtones. keep practicing the 4 lower overtones and try out an altissimo G or any other altissimo notes (they wont occur in ascending order either) after a few days or weeks some of the other overtones will pop out – but remember don’t spend more than 10 mins a day on overtones – its very tiring on the lips.

i’m still waiting on the repair guys, but lucky for me i can still practice on the emeo, the sax sound isn’t perfect, in fact a clarinet sound sounds better, probably because i don’t play the clarinet, but i do have a clarinet that needs recorking that i will be able to play.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.