Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions Which sax should I get?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Paul Chernell
    Participant

I am a late beginner, who wants to play sax. I have seen and read a lot in preparation, and have narrowed my choices to two possibilities. Which is the most logical choice for me in a first alto sax?

Choice 1: Vintage Buescher Super 400 Alto (#553,xxx) in great shape, and mechanically sound playing condition. ($950.00)

Choice 2: Similar condition and playing shape Yamaha YAS-23. ($600.00)

Neither comes with a mouthpiece. What are some excellent choices for a first mouthpiece? Should I consider a different mouthpiece depending on which sax I end up buying?

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide!!!

Paul C.

john
      Keymaster

Hi Paul, looks like you found 2 very good options! You would do well with either the Buescher or the Yamaha. I can't remember how the Buescher is, it's been too many years since I've played one but you would be getting maybe more old-world craftsmanship with that one. Yamaha's might play easier and feel better… try them out if that's at all possible, if not, I don't think you can go wrong with either.

As for a good mouthpiece a highly recommended one is the Selmer S80 also called the C star. I have a review on it here:

Selmer S80 – C* Mouthpiece

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.