Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Introduce Yourself Wuzzup from Colorado!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Dan Solem
    Participant

Been a harmonica player for years and just recently picked up a tenor sax…This is exactly what I’ve been looking for thanks Johnny…First off I love your playing and passion for this type of music and am personally thrilled that you are sharing what has taken you a lifetime to compile. Once I get some chops I’ll be in touch for a private lesson. Need to get in the woodshed first but just wanted to drop a line to say thanks Man! I’ve got a lot of licks in my head that I can’t wait to figure out how to play…thanks for giving an excellent starting point in which to achieve that. Now it’s my turn to put the work in…

Southside

john
      Keymaster

Hey Southside, glad you made it! Ya, I’ve played with a few harp players and always a blast. You just need to get the basics for tone down on your tenor and then get on with the blues scales and you’ll do fine.
        Good luck
        Johnny

ps
        let me know what mouthpiece and reed you got going.

Dan Solem
        Participant

Hey Johnny, nice to know you actively read these things…I bought a beginner sax Selmer Artist LTDT1LQ and it came with a Selmer mouthpiece Cstar S 80….Also came with a box of Prestini reeds size 2…I picked up a 2 1/2 Rico Royal and have been using that…Total beginner but with your techniques I’m excited enough (and have learned just enough) to keep it going…Working on quality exercises and things are starting to make sense to me…I really like how the last 4 notes sound on the Blues scale when it goes from 4# 4 b3 1 so that alone has been cool to play with as I learn each key and how they relate. Thanks for keeping it fun! Also, one of my pearls came off today and I reattached it with some Gorilla Glue…Hope it works!

Dan “Southside”

john
          Keymaster

Your sax and mouthpiece choices are good and will do you for quite a while, I would think the blowing would be easier with the 2 instead of 2 1/2 at this point but you’ll know for yourself.
            Yes, the key is to play around with these scales and little riffs and learn them in different keys, this gets you to know your horn better too.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.