Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Mouthpieces Yamaha 4C Mouthpiece paired with Rovner Ligature

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

I’m a beginner, but I’m definitely getting better–have Johnny’s book “How to Play the Saxophone” to thank for that, and LOTS of practice 😎 So the time has come to replace the cheap mouthpiece/ligature that came with my Alto Sax. Going with the Yamaha 4C Mouthpiece paired with the Rovner C1RL MK III Ligature. A No.2 Reed size is just right for me–going to a 3 or 4 is way to thick and less than 2 is too thin for me. From what I’ve read, seems like very few Sax players go over a 2.5 Reed. The local music shop does carry Rico reeds in various sizes, so I got to see which reed is the right one for me. Now my Sax is off to the shop for maintenance.

Lee Dove
      Participant

I have been playing for a couple of months and use a Yamaha 4c with Rovner which works fine for me. I used a #2 for a while but (at the recommendation of my teacher) moved up to #2.5 and have been experimenting with #3 reeds.

The harder reeds make the higher notes much nicer sounding and easier to hit and don’t seem to make the low notes much harder to get.

I think using the #3 is helping my breathing .

john
        Keymaster

That’s great news about the #3 reed. Many people will have more difficulty in that transition which is all about improving tone but unfortunately it’s gonna make it harder to blow so if the lower notes aren’t that more difficult you’re on the right track. If they are just slightly harder to get, you will soon be playing them as easily as with the thinner reed. Don’t forget, you can make the 3’s a littler lighter by lightly sanding if certain ones are a little tough.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.