Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions Yet another gimmick by manufacturers?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
      Marc
      Participant

Yep.. I’ve seen it already… it’s made by the same people who invented the mouthpiece silencer.
        They claim it allows the player to listen better to his tone, by reflecting the longer soundwaves (lower notes) that come out from the bell.
        Player normally listen better to the high- and mid- register since the sound comes directly from the upper holes, which are closer to the players’ ear.
        I’ve seen some online instructors using and recommending it… However the manufacturer hasn’t been a pioneer in this. There have been other approaches earlier, for instance:

http://www.ploegersaxsoundmirror.com/about.html

Pete
        Participant

Just use your mirror on the wall in your practice room
          or mirror in bedroom e t c, ben using this way for years?

Anonymous

That looks like a WWII design!

I’d prefer a lazer guided pointer for my targeting my audience.

Anonymous

@Jeff – ask any top flight sax player about all these manufacturing gimmicks – i’d be very surprised if they need them.
              However if you’re a sax player like me at the bottom of the pile, i suppose these gimmicks are better than nothing.

We can actually change our sound on a sax – there’s only two options – 1st go see a surgeon and get your anatonomy changed by an operation (i don’t think so) or 2nd choice just change your setup (simply ditch that cheap knockoff mouthpiece for a proper named brand mouthpiece).

Well i’m not going to sell my theowanne mouthpiece to buy a Klangbogen by reed geek and a cheap knock off mouthpiece to replace it – no brainer. I’ll stick with my theowanne.

Can you imagine what Mr TheoWanne would think about me if i ditched his mouthpiece for some rubbish, all those top flight sax players he comes into contact with would be appalled. lol

Michael Bishop
              Participant

@ sxpoet: In talking about the Klangbogen, no body is saying you should get rid of your Theo Wannes. My point in making that comparison earlier is that for many folks they just can’t afford an MP like a Theo Wanne, they are very expensive. Also, Theo Wannes are great as you know first hand, but that doesn’t mean that they’re going to be good for everyone else out there. Maybe they sound good on the MP they’re already using–you don’t have to have a Theo Wanne to sound good and it’s a big mistake to think that you have to have one. The Klangbogen is a very affordable option to help players get a bigger sound without having to change their current Sax set up…and yes, this thing is for real. In terms of cheap MPs, I’ve seen people get incredible sounds with the stock MP that came with their Sax. It really doesn’t matter what MP they’re on, they’re going to basically to sound pretty much like themselves. There are good and bad reasons for wanting to change an MP, check out this video below of the Professor of Music at the University of Ohio (I think it’s Ohio if I remember correctly) conducting a 1-one-1 lesson with a student regarding Saxophone tone. What he’s saying is absolutely the truth about good/bad reasons for changing MPs.
                I’m not one to believe everything that people say regarding things that people will try to sell you; everyone is trying to make money these days. But for the Klangbogen, I saw/heard it with my own eyes/ears, it’s not a gimmick. I got really curious and have been in contact with Reed Geek’s manager by the name of Mauro Di Gioia over the last few days Pro Sax player Boney James tried them and ordered 3 of them. No, Boney James is not one of the endorsers, he got it because he tried it and became a believer. At this past year’s annual NAMM show in California, Reed Geek was on hand to let people try the Klangbogen for themselves. The president/CEO of Cannonball Saxophones tried them and is now using them. They became believers. You can call it a gimmick or what if you want to, but there is actually scientific research to prove the Klangbogen works. I haven’t gotten one yet, but after hearing it for myself I simply had to do some research. I do believe our tone has to come from us as the player and it’s a big mistake to rely on an MP like a Theo Wanne, something like the Klangbogen, etc.. to sound good. We should already have a good tone before even using these things.

Anonymous

@Michael – a person’s anatonomy defines their sound, you’re going to sound like you on any mouthpiece. By that logic then everyone – send me all of your flashy expensive mouthpieces, you don’t need them!

When i’m talking about sound, i’m not talking about your personal sound, i’m talking about sound in terms of sounding like a classical sound or sounding like a rock sound or sounding like a jazzy sound – classical sounds, jazzy sounds , blues sounds are only achievable by using specific mouthpieces & embouchures and different articulations.

as an example the mouthpiece & embouchure to play classical works is completely different to that of a jazz player playing jazz – even the articulation of a jazz player is completely different to that of a classical player.

once you get out the baby stage of playing a sax – your teacher (if he’s any good) will ask which type of music you want to concentrate on – be it blues, rock n roll, jazz, thats when it comes down to either “jack of all master of none”, or “master of one type of music”.

anyway good luck with your healing process – just remember, sometimes we just have to agree to disagree, everyones entitled to hold their own views and not be rail roaded into believing something they don’t.

is the glass half full or half empty? who cares man , i don’t – just enjoy playing your sax. lol (but i do like your arguments)

Michael Bishop
                  Participant

Those are good points Sxpoet and we’re on the same page there for sure 🙂 It’s not realistic to think that everyone will always agree with everything and that’s actually really good because we all see things differently and learn a lot from each other. There’s no question that there’s gimmicks out there that companies are only trying to sell to make money and we all know that, but in talking about the Klangbogen I can personally say from what I have seen/heard with my ears/eyes that it’s no gimmick; it’s very much the real thing. It really opened my eyes; how the added weight from the Klangbogen helps to stablize the area of the Sax around the neck that historically has proven to be slightly unstable, and it dramatically improved the overall sound/projection from the Sax. You can also contact Reed Geek themselves on their contact page and request more info. about it and they can provide you with exact details on it’s development, history behind its design, why it was designed, etc..
                    Thanks for asking about my healing process 🙂 For the first time since late March I can feel the jaw bone along the bottom jaw v.s. swollen muscle. That part of the muscle is almost back to normal. There is a mass of swollen muscle near the cheek bone that has gone down slightly, still has a long way to go. The good news is that the natural remedies I was told by my Orthopedic doctor to follow appears to be working…and that has really picked my spirits up to say the least. The dentist told me my playing days were over, it crushed me to hear those words–who wouldn’t feel crushed? My instructor encouraged me to send him a video link when I’m fully mended LOL There were members here on Johnny’s site and music friends I’ve made who through their private messages were really encouraging too.

jake
                    Participant

I’ve always taken most comments on here from known members seriously. Like stated above we may not always agree but that’s what can make discussions meaningful. It’s that dialogue that can bring about new ideas and help us learn. Man the Guardala MP on my tenor sound now is making me soooo happy. I took your positive review of the Klangbogen Michael and said “what the heck”. Like you said, its only like $60 so whats the harm other than being out another $60 LOL. I like to hear positive comments from people other than the website selling them for honest feedback. Well I’m no endorser so when I get the Klangbogen I can give an honest review and maybe some sound samples to see if this thing is worth it!! It’s honestly refreshing to not be shopping for MP right now as I have ones I am generally happy with!!

Anonymous

Hi Jake, all one has to do is listen to your later recordings to appreciate the difference a good MP can make.
                        At the end of the day it’s the joy that playing the sax brings, which determines whether these investments are worth their money.
                        You are clearly thrilled with your MP and that’s what makes it fun to play and listen to quality instruments.
                        Kevin indicated this too when he told us about his experience modifying MP’s and the difference small changes can make to play-ability.

I watched a U-tube video a while ago, where one chap played a number of MP’s and there was hardly a difference in sound.
                        In Johnny’s comparison of the Guardala MP’s there is a marked difference between the models. I guess it comes down to a players MP/reed skills.

My tone is changing all the time on my 4C’s and there is a big difference in sound from playing in my lounge to playing in a large hall.
                        On seeing this sound deflector for the sax, I was reminded of a sight for an AA gun and couldn’t resist making a little joke.

Looking forward to more of your tunes.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.