Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Improvisation 2-5-1 chord progression

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    RockinRobin
    Participant

This week I’ll be practicing the 2-5-1- chord progression with Scott Paddock i just ordered Jamie Aebersold’s 2-5-1 chord progression book
      William

john
      Keymaster

good William….geez I think I first had the Aebersold book back in the 70’s! good luck….try to stick with it.

Anonymous

All the new 2-5-1 music books have a cd that plays round the circle of fifths in the order C F Bb Eb Ab Db Gb B E A D G, or reverse order, and you practice playing along the 2-5-1 chords for each of the 12 scales.

If you are a learner, the best thing to do is learn to play all 12 Major 7th chords going round the circle of fifths one after another. Then learn to play all 12 Minor 7th chords going round the circle of fifths one after another. Then learn to play all 12 Dominant 7th chords going round the circle of fifths one after another. If you can do that, then start playing the 2-5-1 chords round the circle of fifths one after another – it makes life a lot easier, otherwise if you jump straight in with playing 2-5-1 along to a circle of 5th cd, could take up anything to a year to master it.

Just trying to say if you don’t know all 12 major scales and their respective Major, Minor and dominant 7th chords – then tackling the 2-5-1 chord progression can be very difficult but not impossible.

RockinRobin
          Participant

Thanks SXPoet for the info. Johnny I had most of Aebersold’s books but they got left on the moving van in the move to New Mexico. 2-5-1 has always been a “how do I use the 2-5-1. How does it fit in with the “Rolling Stones Medley?”
            William

RockinRobin
            Participant

Scott Paddock demonstrating the 2-5-1 progression https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTD2beeE4kw

RockinRobin
              Participant

2-5-1 chord progression; How do i apply the 2-5-1 to the “Rolling Stones Medley”
                William

Anonymous

1 – major7 chord, 2 – minor7 chord, 5 – dominant 7 chord.

check out Johnny’s improvisation courses – stuff to do with modes etc..

Improvising with the 2-5-1 chord progression is the same process as in other chord progressions (ex 1-4-5 blues progression). if you can improvise with chords in the blues chord progression, then the 2-5-1 should not be a problem.

practice scales starting at different points in the scale (classed as modes) and practice chords in different inversions over and over. To move between chords, play in between notes to join them up etc..

Anonymous

The difficulty with improvising is not having a clear understanding what improvising is about. Don’t confuse improvising with noodling, noodling is closer to playing any random notes you feel like playing unrelated to playing recognisable chord patterns – noodling can often sound closer to making up a melodic tune.

The problem with improvising it’s not just about learning what notes to play, it’s about learning a process or method. By applying the method or process, dictates what notes you decide to play.

For instance 10 sax players could improvise to the same tune, and they could all play different notes. Which of the 10 sax players has improvised correctly? The answer is they all have providing they’ve stuck to the same process. For example if you play a chord consisting of 4 notes, there is no rule saying which of the 4 notes you must start playing with – that’s 4 different choices. Changing the starting notes throws a different light on the accompaniment, some starting notes sound better or worse, depending on your mood. Linking up the notes between chords is the hardest bit.
                    Swapping between playing chord notes and playing notes in the scale(mode) or notes outside the scale all add flavour.

all the more reason for trying out Johnny’s improvising courses

RockinRobin
                    Participant

Ok SXPoet
                      I’m back with Johnny’s Improve course. I know all my scales. 2-5-1? What do I do with it. I have the Tequila sheet music and the backing track. I have the 2-5-1 jazz music book. So I’ll go around the circle of 5ths while I study Johnny’s improve course. Clear as mud but it covers the ground.
                      William

Anonymous

How’s the improvisation going?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.