Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Problems With Your Sax? A few connections between the keys and valves have come unglued on my Tenor.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

I took my 1967 Selmer Tenor to get it serviced and upon getting it back THE CONNECTIONS between the valves that open/close when playing the saxophone and keys we use to play high F# and the G# have come unglued. I had them take it completely apart and they cleaned it inside out and, new pads, etc.. Is there any kind of chemical a sax repair man will use when cleaning the inside of your saxophone that possibly may have gotten to these areas and dissolved the glue?

john
      Keymaster

I don’t think so, if there is that would be a very stupid thing for a repair guy to do which doesn’t seem right; the glue is pretty much unreachable once placed under the pads.

Michael Bishop
        Participant

I didn’t think they would use anything like that either but was wondering what would have caused the connections with these 2 keys to have come apart like they did, seeing how it just came back from the shop completely overhauled. In my mind, this MAY explain why some of my notes weren’t sounding right in the recent upload of the Pink Panther and the G# is one of those–I know I was supposed to play it so glad you noticed that (My printer won’t print the sheet music I sent you out very large either, don’t know why). The valve isn’t opening on the side of the sax when I strike a G# and F# right now. I was supposed to be out of town this weekend but that didn’t happen so I’m am taking it back to the shop tomorrow to see what’s going on and have them inspect all of the others while they’re at it. At present all of the others seem to be working okay.

Dan Fleming
          Participant

Several companies make what they call a horn flush. Any time I need to do this (which is rare), I just bath the horn in warm soapy water and rinse when finished. Keep in mind that this may further loosed the glue or contact cement that hold felts or corks in place that serve to close certain keys If you’re worried about keeping your horn sanitary usually keeping your mouthpiece and neck clean should serve the purpose, especially if you’re the only one that plays the horn. Keeping a competent tech is the best insurance you can have. Any of them will be glad to share these tips with you. Good luck.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.