Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Your Video A few recordings I have done.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Louis
    Participant

Hello all! I figured I would share some of the tunes I have recorded, as I could learn from others advice!

https://soundcloud.com/user-958250742-940236682/aint-misbehavin on a Conn Chu Berry Tenor

https://soundcloud.com/user-958250742-940236682/hello-dolly on a Conn 10m Naked Lady Tenor

https://soundcloud.com/user-958250742-940236682/work-song-bari-sax on a Martin Handcraft Imperial Baritone Sax

https://soundcloud.com/user-958250742-940236682/aint-misbehavin-bari-sax on the Martin Bari once again.

Any and all feedback is welcomed!

Thanks for listening and for your time! 🙂

Louie from Baltimore

saxomonica
      Participant

G’day Louis.

i thoroughly enjoyed all your tracks and just loved the renditions of Aint Misbehavin’.
        Especially on the baritone! So much more raunchier – with lotsa guts and superb swing.
        The bari turned me onto sax recently, i saw a local band playing with one in their line up.
        Their name “The Vibrolators” (for those that like to watch). hee hee 🙂
        Saw them at the local bowling club, then went into town next night to hear their gig.
        Didn’t know the guy was on the bari at the time, all saxes looked the same to me.
        Went out the very next day and bought a tenor on Gumtree [maybe kinda like Craig’s List?]
        It had no reeds with it, thus i got 2 from the local music shop to make some noise.
        Next i got ten reeds from Ebay – they were for an alto, i just figured that out recently …
        It says so on the pack. Next tried Rico 3s got nothing and now use Vandoren Juno 2.5.
        I got a long ways to go and thanks big time for your trax which i cast as near flawless.
        What others gotta say as yet we dunno. Mayhap, “their silence is praise enough”.
        Heard a rockin’ sax band, the Baltimore something or others on the radio recently – just splendid!
        Wrote their name down somewhere, i’ll find it and get back to ya soon to sing their praises.
        All the best, cheers, Mark

Says Aldous Huxley, after silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.

Louis
        Participant

Thanks for taking a listen, Mark!

I just looked up the Vibrolators on Youtube. I can see how that would make you want to play the sax! That bari player has a great sound for sure! The video of them playing at The Blues Club in Perth WA is great! Has a great section of him soloing.

It is a great instrument to learn. The beautiful part about playing, is you will always learn, no matter how long you have played for. That is what makes it fun, and interesting. It is awesome that you decided to pick up playing the saxophone after hearing someone else’s art. I hope that you stick with it, and enjoy it. I have plenty to learn myself. and believe this is the place to help for that! I look forward to hearing you play sometime, and learning from you as well. Thank you for the kind words.

Louie

brother cavefish
          Participant

i was actually goofing around the other day with this song, its too fast i thought, i like the tune but wanted it a little more bluesy–, so i slowed it down, Ray charles actually did a slowed rendition of this , i thought it sounded much better than the original, the original was in a hip hop movie scene,

Ridge
            Participant

Just to give some feedback your playing is very good but I feel that the bac-trak could use a tad bit more volume, I would like to here the drum more in the work-song which is my favorite of the group. Hope you inspire others to post.

john
              Keymaster

Hey Lou, hI really like your sound, especially on tenor, it’s very “earthy” I guess is the way I’d describe it which fits well with your instrument collection…
                good stuff.

Louis
                Participant

@brother-cavefish – I agree a slower version of this tune would be fantastic! Just listened to Ray Charles rendition of it, and it sounds phenomenal like that! I may have to look into making that a project.

@ridge
                  – I will definitely keep that in mind next time I’m doing the mixing and mastering of the tracks. I appreciate the input!

@Johnny
                  – I appreciate you taking the time to listen! I definitely love the sound the horns give for sure. I’m comfortable with my Otto Links, and the tone they help produce. I have been experimenting with some higher baffle pieces for the tenors, as I would like to be a little more flexible with my styles, such as rock and roll, funk, etc. So far I have a Claude Lakey Jazz mouthpiece and a Berg Larsen, with the Berg Larsen being favored so far. I have been eyeing up one of those Carbon Fiber mouthpieces you have for sale. May be a future purchase of mine! Thanks again for the input!

brother cavefish
                  Participant

I like a slower version, one can noodle around and drag and growl, and still keep up with the clip, yet still have that ole greasy dig—i use this program called “amazing slow downer” it great especially if one is trying to learn some licks,

saxomonica
                    Participant

Hiya @Louis i found the scrap of paper floating about with the saxy track i heard on an old time r’n b radio station
                      the band i scribbled down was called, “Pittsburgh Viking Batchelors”
                      Heard of them??
                      Can’t find anything about them on the Internet, their music musta taken my breath away ..
                      Guess Pittsburgh is a long wayz from Baltimore? i must come have a look see some time!
                      Here’s about the closest i can get this day:

Louis
                      Participant

@brother-cavefish I am going to have to give that a try. After hearing the Ray Charles version, I really wanna give it a shot now! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

@saxomonica
                        I can’t say that I have heard of them, but let me do some research! Pittsburgh isn’t too terribly far from Baltimore by any means! 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.