Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Problems With Your Sax? A key and B key sticking

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I played a long while today and towards the end those keys were sticking. I cleaned the Sax and someone told me to stick a Dollar underneath the key and press down and pull out the dollar bill. I will find out if that did the trick??? If not, what eould my next step be, mm??????? Vinny

john
      Keymaster

it’s common vinny. my problem one is G#
        I run a piece of regular writing paper thru I would imagine a dollar bill will work too. it’s just a way of getting the sticky moisture out.
        It works, jus press down hard enough to do the job…/not too hard to wreck anything but hard enough to clean it.

jake
        Participant

I have a sticky g# as well. My pad seems to stay stuck down though. Are you talking about the pad sticking down or the key?? Will this work for my G# as well. I press the G# key sometimes and the pad doesn’t release the g# pad. I have oiled it up quite a bit and manually opened and closed the g# pad but still occasionally sticks.

Anonymous

Thanks. I will play tomorrow and see if it becomes sticky again. I ran the dollar bill through today. thanks for the input. Vinny

Craig Scott
            Participant

My G# also sticks sometimes. Why is that one the sticky one for so many players. Anyway, Yamaha sells packets of thin cleaning paper, but a clean bill or piece of paper probably works just as well.

john
              Keymaster

G# is common because of where it is and that it’s mostly always in the closed position.
                The other thing that’s also used and is good for unsticking it is theatrical make up remover paper. Yes, actors use it to remove make up, it’s super thin like tobacco rolling paper.

Tim56
                Participant

Sticky pads??? No more when you get,,, Pad Stick. Johnny told me about guys that gave him a sample when he was on tour in Boston? Anyway, I got some. They are a material to run under your pads after you play. I have not had a stick since I started using them! I hope they are still in business. pad-stick.com Sorry guys! It seems to be out of business? web address does not come up. Tim

Anonymous

I have a new Yamaha YAS-26 and this problem really bugged me in the beginning.

Then I purchased a pack of Palladio rice paper oil-absorbing blotting tissues
                    from the pharmacy cosmetics department.

I tear one paper in half, fold the one piece and place it under the middle closed valve-pad
                    and the other half I place under the lower closed valve-pad.

This is the way I store my sax after swabbing and cleaning after use.

Now the only time my pads stick is when it has a build up of grime.

I use and ear-bud moistened with water and carefully wipe the key-pad
                    then the sax is like new again.

I use trumpet valve oil to lubricate the hinges and shafts.

Anonymous

i need to oil my sax, it sounds like a typewriter when i play it🎷

Anonymous

Hi James

Does it ring when it gets to the end of a line?

🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.