Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Show Us Your Sax I am buying a new sax. Any advice on these five models?

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Leo Salu
    Participant

Having played both the yts 62 and the yts 23 the 62 does have a much lighter touch vs the 23 i think that’s what they mean my fragile that all the keys on the 62 respond much quicker
      than the student model they seem (62) to have less medal in there structure but i do not find them fragile at all, the sax does seem to be lighter than my other saxes
      btw yany saxophones cost a bunch more than Yami saxophones they should sound better, i would not mind trying one out although i could never say their full name correctly Ha

sxpoet
      Participant

a lot of serious students who start out on a student sax, the first thing they say when the move up to a pro sax, is that they then realised the student sax was holding them back – ie the pro sax keys responded a lot quicker. Where as with the student sax they were plodding about on the keys.

clarinets are a different kettle of fish, if you buy a student clarinet (probably made of plastic or rubber) you can only use them up to grade 5 exams, if you want to do grades 5 to 8 exams (before doing a degree in music) then you have use a clarinet made out of wood, i don’t know the logic behind that perhaps it’s to do with playing above three octaves?

Colin Paralusz
        Participant

Thanks for the other buying option. I just fear counterfeit things from the internet. I saw some Yanisigawa saxophones at ridiculously low prices on E Bay. There are some warnings. I have not tried Reverb, yet.

sxpoet
          Participant

if you can afford it, buy brand new.
            if you buy a used sax,
            one safer option is to phone round some music teachers and enquire if anyone is selling their sax, or let them know you are looking to buy a sax.

the next safer option is to look online at any reputable music shop that sells wind instruments (preferably ones that only sell wind instruments) they usually sell used saxophones and will make sure they are in working order.

if as a last resort you buy off the internet, make sure the sax is checked over by a repair shop, if there are any repairs, the cost of repairing might be more than buying a used sax sold in a music shop.

imo – thats what i’d do

Michael Bishop
            Participant

Hi Colin,

Johnny posted an article on his blog/section of the website a few years ago on tips for buying a Saxophone, here’s the link below. It’s a few years old, but have some good insights/tips to bear in mind:

Tips For Buying a Saxophone in 2022 – Play It Safe With These Top Brands

sxpoet
              Participant

Michael – you started playing the sax again?

Michael Bishop
                Participant

@sxpoet–not at the moment, I play Brass instruments now: Trumpet, Flugelhorn, and have a new cornet coming that I bought from Austin Custom Brass. With my TMD Disorder, Brass Instruments was the perfect solution as the embouchure required for Brass instruments involves buzzing of the lips and there’s nothing to insert in my mouth that may aggrevate my TMD Disorder. The Air Support required for Woodwind and Brass instruments is the same, no change there. The super-cool thing about Bb Saxophone sheet music is this: it’s all transferable to the instruments I now play as they are concert Bb Instruments, just like Tenor/Soprano–so I’m making good use of all of the tracks/sheet music 🙂 On the Trumpet, I’m getting ready to upload ‘Fly Me To the Moon’ and ‘Blueberry Hill’, and I’m working on ‘Ghost Riders in the Sky’–all using Johnny’s backing tracks–it’s GREAT fun to play. On Flugelhorn, I’m getting ready to upload ‘Killing Me Softly’ and ‘You are the Sunshine of my life’, and I”m working on “Ooh Baby, Baby, on Flugelhorn. I just opened a new youtube channel/new mini blog on tumblr a few days ago, no content on the youtube channel yet, but getting ready to post it. Here’s the link(s) if you’re interested (no self-promotion on my part, it’s just to show what I’m doing these days).

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTBsrDRRCxJDd7-5JEEREkw
                  https://rookiebrass.blog/

I actually did upload a Trumpet/Flugelhorn song a few months back on a channel that I had, but it was more of just something to help me track my progress/unlisted, but the new links/channel(s) above are going public. After my TMD Disorder, I went through a phase of not wanting anything to do with playing music at all. My discouragement/feelings eventually subsided and my son started to learn to play guitar. I encouraged him to pursue music and he turned it around on me with, ‘Dad, what about you’ LOL So I made a deal with him that if he continued with the guitar then I would get back into music again. My first thoughts was Saxophone and I started to try to play again and even resumed lessons locally, but the TMD came back 🙁 Given the circumstances, it was recommended I look into Brass instruments and that was that–it’s worked out really well for me….the blues are super fun to play on the Trumpet too 🙂 I’m still very much connected with the Blues Society on a local level/my playing friends–no changes there. My love for the Saxophone/Saxophone Music will never change and I really do hope I’ll be able to pick it up again–it would be SO much fun to be able to add it to these intruments/fun uploads with both instruments…..and I have been tempted to try again LOL

sxpoet
                  Participant

that’s fantastic news – looking forward to your uploads.

I’ve started playing my daughter’s Bb clarinet as well as still playing my Alto. She wanted to sell it, so i bought it off her, hoping that in later years she might want to pick it up. I played guitar for 40 years before starting the sax about 10 years ago, and i spent 3 years playing the piano. I want to record all 4 instruments (in my dreams).

I wish i could record with you…

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.