Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Introduce Yourself A quick hello

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Dale Eiermann
    Participant

Greetings to all,

I use to play the tenor sax as a teenager in a few bands in the 1960's. Now I'm unemployed and near retirement age so I thought I would bring it out and try and play again. I sound terrible but have no money for lessons so I thought I would find some help online.

tennisaxophone
      Participant

Hey everybody, Im Brett, i am a highschool saxophone player and I play everyday whether its wind ensemble or jazz band or a jazz combo. I joined this site just to get some tips and ideas to advance my knowledge of the tenor saxophone. I don't have much money and buying reeds that wear out quickly is really getting frustrated. I can't stand spending my money on expensive reeds that only last a week. i am really interested in buying plastic or synthetic reeds and i am getting mixed views from fellow saxophone players. I don't need them to replace my normal reeds but i would be looking for something i could use to practice with and use in rehearsals while in performances i would use my regular cane reeds. I am looking for any advice on this issue and I'm open to all ideas. Thank you.

john
        Keymaster

Synthetic reeds have become slightly better over the years but most players still prefer cane.

You are the only one who can decide if they will do the job for you. Buy a couple of them and see. hopefully they can have a place in your playing, who knows, you may even love them but you need to give them a try to find out.

One of the most popular is Legere and I wrote an article on them here:
          https://howtoplaysaxophone.org/legere-reeds

Alan Sizer
          Participant

And as I've mentioned in a previuos post, my teach got some Fibracell synthetic reeds for me. i like them. If you get one to try out, make sure you go for one size up from the cane ones you're using (e.g. if you use a 3 cane, get a 3.5 Fibracell).

Unlike other synthetics, they are made with a grain that resembles cane. I don't know if that makes a significant difference.

Cheers

Al

john
            Keymaster

Good point Alan, Fibracell are the other really popular ones, I haven't tried them yet cause when I went o get my Legere my sax shop didn't have any of the Fibracell, but the two are a bit different and anyone looking to go for a synthetic needs to give them both a try.

Let us know the results!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.