Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Recording Your Saxophone A quick recording of Tender Years

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Bill Mecca
    Participant

A quick recording tonight, messing with mouthpieces after an embarrassing squeal on this tune NYE. 😉 https://soundcloud.com/bill-mecca/tender-years

I have been playing a HR Berg .110 with #3 Plasticover, but lack of playing time and my chops wear out. I used my Rovner Deep V 7 on NYE, and it blew up in my face. This is a SS Berg 90/1 with a #3 Plasticover. Bergs are notorious for being mismeasured, and can vary by 5 or 10 in each direction. It feels pretty good at the moment. 😉

and yes, that is me on vocals as well. (it’s a midi file and is different that the original, it’s shorter)

Anonymous

Thanks Bill, I enjoyed listening to this track with the smooth fingering on the Sax.
        It must be tricky to sing between playing the sax, well done.

Dazza
        Participant

Thanks Bill. Nice playing. I love this song and play it constantly in the car. Where did you acquire the music as I haven’t been able to find it. Did you work it out yourself perhaps.

Bill Mecca
          Participant

Thanks for the listens and comments. I do it with bands, but this is a shorter version. I found a midi file years ago, cannot remember where. I used to do that alot, but then my program Sonar Producer 4 started giving me some issues with the sounds I was using. I think it cannot handle large midi files, and I was getting a weird delay/echo of the digital instruments. ( I used the built in cakewalk TTS-1 synth for the tracks as my sound card doesn’t do midi M Audio 2496).

when I get chance I will dig out that midi and make a backing track with it and post it.

Jeff, I like singing, though my range is limited as I get older. lol

Richard Chew
            Participant

Hi, Bill. I am from Malaysia. That was nice tone & good singing. I enjoyed listening.
              Keep it up.

Happy New Year.

Dazza
              Participant

Another great song by Beaver Brown Band is Boardwalk Angel. Great sax lines and easy to play. Do you do this on by chance Bill? I play along with this one but can’t find a backing track anywhere.

Bill Mecca
                Participant

Hi Dazza,

had forgotten about that one. It’s a good one, no I don’t play it. http://www.karaoke-version.com has On the Dark side. 😉

jake
                  Participant

Nice rendition Bill. My buddy plays guitar and sings this tune while I play the sax to it. Outside of the sax lines I will play a bass like backing throughout the song on my sax as well. I don’t like the way my high F# sounds in the song tho thru my tenor sax. It just is not robust and full enough so I resorted to my bari sax and WOW. That puppy sings this song away. Such a cool song for sure!!
                    The bari in this song gives me a chill everytime!!

Bill Mecca
                    Participant

I had issues with this song on a NYE gig, so I was a bit tentative on the E and F#3 here. I usually add a bit of growl which fills it out a bit.

john
                      Keymaster

The sax lines on Boardwalk Angel can be a great exercise for anyone who wants to be more proficient on blues and rock playing. the line is chordal (1 3 5 and 6) which can fit in literally 100’s of songs in one way or another.
                        so play it in every key every day and you will develop more skill and ideas no matter what key the band plays in.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.