Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Repertoire ACDC; Highway to Hell

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Dolph
    Participant

Johnny, I would like to do some infill on AC/DC’s “Highway to Hell”, but it’s just not working. Could you possibly suggest something for Bb sax?
      Cheers,
      Dolph

john
      Keymaster

Dolph, I don’t know what you’re using as the listening track but the original key for Highway To Hell is A.
        So for this tune you can use the major pentatonic scale which is one of the ones used in the Killer Blues book.
        You are playing along with a band that is playing in A so as a tenor player you’re in B.
        B major pentatonic is B C# D# F# G#
        Use the above notes for the majority of your licks
        As you focus in on certain part of the song you’ll notice they use a repetetive guitar riff in the verse: G# A
        adding the 7th (which is the A)
        Another point to listen for is when they fall to the 5 chord (your F# note)
        You may also notice that the flat 3 will also sound good in this song so that means 2 of our blues scales will work here:
        the basic blues scale and the major pentatonic.

Dolph
        Participant

Most excellent reply. Thanks for your time. I will give it a go and impress the hell out of the Harley croud !!

john
          Keymaster

Great, let us know how it goes!

Dolph
            Participant

Johnny, it’s been difficult. Maybe it’s me, but I find it a difficult song.
              I managed best with B, D, E, F#, A with an additional G#. I don’t know if that makes sense. I agree that the song is in concert A, thus B for my tenor.
              I will keep at it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.