Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Repertoire Ain't no sunshine

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Lou Canning
    Participant

Hi Lou, I feel your enthusiasm but unfortunately I just arrived home after a long road trip and have a full schedule of "work:" to get done so can't get to anything as far as recording any video's at the moment.

That song;Ain't No Sunshine"is a great example of using the pentatonic minor blues scale which you'll find there is a lesson on here.

Once you feel prolific with this scale you'll find learning that song quite straight forward. Start with learning the melody note for note… it revolves around the one, three, four, five and seventh notes of the scale.

If you're playing tenor, the first note is the five (F#), then seven (A), then one (B), then three (D), back down to B, A, and B.
      This is the first line of the opening melody.

john
      Keymaster

Hi Lou, I feel your enthusiasm but unfortunately I just arrived home after a long road trip and have a full schedule of "work:" to get done so can't get to anything as far as recording any video's at the moment.

That song;Ain't No Sunshine"is a great example of using the pentatonic minor blues scale which you'll find there is a lesson on here.

Once you feel prolific with this scale you'll find learning that song quite straight forward. Start with learning the melody note for note… it revolves around the one, three, four, five and seventh notes of the scale.

If you're playing tenor, the first note is the five (F#), then seven (A), then one (B), then three (D), back down to B, A, and B.

Lou Canning
        Participant

Thanks Johnny hope tour went well looking forward to learning Aint No Sunshine when you get time to put up a video its great for us as beginners Thanks again

Lou Canning
          Participant

Johnny im sorry for being STUPID but i cant get these notes to work after D If you're playing tenor, the first note is the five (F#), then seven (A), then one (B), then three (D), back down to B, A, and B.
            Thanks LOU

john
            Keymaster

Yes that's right. What can't you get to work?

B Braykov
              Participant

Hi, what happened to Ain’t No Sunshine?
                Is it in your plans to finish it.
                Also, I am with an alto sax. Should I play the same scores?

john
                Keymaster

Right, unfinished project. What I did for you was transpose the backing tracks so now you can play the notes that are written and it will be in the right key for the play-along tracks on your alto.
                  https://howtoplaysaxophone.org/aint-no-sunshine-lesson

Another thing you can do is check out the blues lesson section:
                  https://howtoplaysaxophone.org/improvisation

and practice those blues and minor blues scales (try pentatonic minor here) with the Ain’t No Sunshine backing tracks.

B Braykov
                  Participant

10x
                    I originally thought the notes themselves has to be transposed from tenor for alto.
                    So I started entering them in Musescore as it does have a transpose function.
                    However, I am a total beginner and I don’t fully understand the blues stuff.
                    But as you say, I will continue learning it by the given scores.

john
                    Keymaster

Yes, you are correct in that you can transpose the music I have there on that page as it was written for tenor, but….
                      that is why I transposed the backing tracks for you so you can now read the chart as is and it will be in the right key as long as you play the audio marked Eb.

This is a common question, especially when starting out, regarding the relationship of keys to your sax and concert instruments, transposing etc…

Although the theory and concept is simple, it takes a while to fully wrap your head around it, but you will! Check out this article I wrote, it might help shed more light on it for you:
                      https://howtoplaysaxophone.org/saxophone-keys

Jan
                      Participant

Hi Johnny,

What key would a guitar need to play in if I play the tenor vetsion?

Jan

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.